The New Telephony: Technology Convergence, Industry Collision
Stephen J.K. Walters
- 出版商: Prentice Hall
- 出版日期: 2002-04-05
- 售價: $1,586
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $1,507
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 400
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 0130358142
- ISBN-13: 9780130358141
The future of telecom: next-generation technology, next-generation business models.
The telecom industry faces non-stop change: new technologies, new business models, new competitive environments, and changing regulation. Now, one of the industry's most respected experts presents a systematic guide to the "New Telephony": where telecom has come from, where it stands now, and where it's headed. Telcordia principal and fellow Stephen M. Walters offers exceptional insight into today's telecommunications "battlefield," comparing the strengths, weaknesses, and business models of traditional and Internet-focused service providers. Walters identifies and thoroughly evaluates the key factors that will drive—or prevent—success in tomorrow's radically new telecom environment:
- Financial muscle: Revenues, margins, market cap, credit rating, cash, scope, and size
- Assets and liabilities: Customers, equipment, right-of-way, systems, processes, values, and human resources that promote or deter competitiveness
- Inertia: Corporate mindset and level of commitment to legacy products and services
- Responsiveness: Skill in introducing new products and entrepreneurial ideas, methods, and procedures
- Regulatory environment: Regulatory burden, compared with competitors
- Economic environment: Current economic environment—and likely scenarios for change
Whether you're a telecom manager, buyer, consultant, investor, analyst, or technical professional, this book offers a comprehensive framework for making intelligent decisions—for your company, your finances, and your future.
Foreword by Robert Lucky.
"Steve has put his finger directly on the key issue facing the telecommunications industry—what business model will allow communications providers to harness the opportunities and complexities offered by the explosion of new technologies, provide businesses and consumers with services they will pay for, and most importantly, do all this while growing revenues and profits. This book is rock solid technically... but the business insights are of fundamental importance."
retired, #1 Ranked Network Equipment Analyst,
J.P. Morgan Securities
Table of Contents
1. The Confrontation.
2. Speech and Transport.
3. The Old Telephony.
4. Inside the Internet.
6. Growing Pains.
7. The Players and Their Games.
8. The Future.