Network Security: Private Communication in a Public World, 2/e (Hardcover)
Charlie Kaufman, Radia Perlman, Mike Speciner
The classic guide to network security—now fully updated!"Bob and Alice are back!"
Widely regarded as the most comprehensive yet comprehensible guide to network security, the first edition of Network Security received critical acclaim for its lucid and witty explanations of the inner workings of network security protocols. In the second edition, this most distinguished of author teams draws on hard-won experience to explain the latest developments in this field that has become so critical to our global network-dependent society.
Network Security, Second Edition brings together clear, insightful, and clever explanations of every key facet of information security, from the basics to advanced cryptography and authentication, secure Web and email services, and emerging security standards. Coverage includes:
- All-new discussions of the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), IPsec, SSL, and Web security
- Cryptography: In-depth, exceptionally clear introductions to secret and public keys, hashes, message digests, and other crucial concepts
- Authentication: Proving identity across networks, common attacks against authentication systems, authenticating people, and avoiding the pitfalls of authentication handshakes
- Core Internet security standards: Kerberos 4/5, IPsec, SSL, PKIX, and X.509
- Email security: Key elements of a secure email system-plus detailed coverage of PEM, S/MIME, and PGP
- Web security: Security issues associated with URLs, HTTP, HTML, and cookies
- Security implementations in diverse platforms, including Windows, NetWare, and Lotus Notes
2. Introduction to Cryptography.
3. Secret Key Cryptography.
4. Modes of Operation.
5. Hashes and Message Digests.
6. Public Key Algorithms.
7. Number Theory.
8. Math with AES and Elliptic Curves.
9. Overview of Authentication Systems.
10. Authentication of People.
11. Security Handshake Pitfalls.
12. Strong Password Protocols.
13. Kerberos V4.
14. Kerberos V5.
15. PKI (Public Key Infrastructure).
16. Real-time Communication Security.
17. IPsec: AH and ESP.
18. IPsec: IKE.
IV. ELECTRONIC MAIL.
20. Electronic Mail Security.
21. PEM & S/MIME.
22. PGP (Pretty Good Privacy).
24. More Security Systems.
25. Web Issues.