- Create custom business solutions with Microsoft Office XP and Office 2000!
- Extend Word, Excel, Outlook, and other Office applications.
- Learn all aspects of Office development, including security and distribution.
- Leverage Office's powerful collaboration, intranet, and Web capabilities
- For novice developers and Office power users!
- Discover the power of Office programming
- Applies to both Office XP and Office 2000
- Master the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) language and development environment
- Understand the powerful components in the Office object model
- Build custom tools that leverage email and the Web
- Construct four Office applications - step-by-step
- No Microsoft Office programming experience necessary!
Developing robust custom solutions with Microsoft Office XP/2000!Microsoft Office is far more than the world's leading office productivity suite. Itspowerful capabilities are organized into hundreds of programmable components, all available to any developer who needs to create custom business solutions. Bycombining these components with the powerful Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) programming language, you can construct powerful applications far more quickly than if you built them from scratch. These components and VBA are available in both Office XP and Office 2000, which means you can use them whether or not you upgraded.
In this book, expert developer and consultant Peter G. Aitken shows exactly how toleverage the power of Microsoft Office in custom application development. Whetheryou're an experienced developer or a business professional with a problem that needssolving, Aitken will show you how to do it with Office — step by step.
Aitken begins by reviewing each key Office application - Word, Excel, Access,PowerPoint, Frontpage, and Outlook - and the shared components accessible to all ofthem. You'll discover powerful opportunities for extending and automating Office to increase efficiency and improve collaboration throughout your organization. Then, onestep at a time, Aitken teaches the key VBA skills you'll need to achieve your goals. Finally, this book walks you through the construction of four real-world Office applications, emphasizing the potential value of Office custom solutions in real-world business situations.
Table of Contents
I. INTROUDCTION TO OFFICE DEVELOPMENT.
1. Why Develop with Office VBA?
2. The Basics of Office Development.
3. Visual Basic for Applications—the Fundamentals.
4. Working with Office Objects.
II. THE OFFICE COMPONENTS.
5. Using Word Components.
6. Using Excel Components.
7. Using Data Access Components.
8. Using PowerPoint Components.
9. Using FrontPage Components.
10. Using Outlook Components.
11. Using the Shared Office Components.
III. THE VBA LANGUAGE.
12. Data Storage and Operators.
13. Conditional and Loop Statements.
14. Writing Procedures.
15. Working with Strings.
16. Working with Dates and Times.
17. Working with Files.
18. Creating Custom Classes and Objects.
19. Creating User Forms.
IV. OTHER OFFICE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS.
20. VBA Error Handling.
21. Debugging, Deploying, and Supporting Your Application.
22. Using the Windows API and Registry.
23. Office Technologies for the Web.
V. PUTTING IT ALL TO WORK.
24. Web Publishing of a MultiAuthor Compound Document.
25. Numeric Processing and Graphing.
26. The Scenario. Report Generation Basics. Structure of a Report. Adding Report Elements. A Demonstration.
Appendix: KeyCode Constants and Values.