Completely updated for current trends and technologies, The Essential Guide to Telecommunications, Sixth Edition, is the world’s top-selling, accessible guide to the fast-changing global telecommunications industry. Writing in easy-to-understand language, Dodd demystifies today’s most significant technologies, standards, architectures, and trends. She introduces leading providers worldwide, explains where they fit in the marketplace, and reveals their key strategies.
New topics covered in this edition include: LTE Advanced and 5G wireless, modern security threats and countermeasures, emerging applications, and breakthrough techniques for building more scalable, manageable networks.
- Gain a practical understanding of modern cellular, Wi-Fi, Internet, cloud, and carrier technologies
- Discover how key technical, business, and regulatory innovations are changing the industry
- See how streaming video, social media, cloud computing, smartphones, and the Internet of Things are transforming networks
- Explore growing concerns about security and privacy, and review modern strategies for detecting and mitigating network breaches
- Learn how Software Defined Networks (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) add intelligence to networks, enabling automation, flexible configurations, and advanced networks
- Preview cutting-edge, telecom-enabled applications and gear–from mobile payments to drones
Whether you’re an aspiring network engineer looking for a broad understanding of the industry, or a salesperson, marketer, investor, or customer, this indispensable guide provides everything you need to know about telecommunications right now. This new edition is ideal for both self-study and classroom instruction.
Annabel Z. Dodd is on the faculty at Northeastern University's School of Professional Studies, where she teaches courses on data networks in the Master’s Degree Program in Informatics. She also presents seminars to organizations, worldwide. Her webinar on LTE Essentials for US Telecom attracted over 900 people.