Fermentation Microbiology and Biotechnology, Fourth Edition
El-Mansi, E. M. T., Nielsen, Jens, Mousdale, David
Fermentation Microbiology and Biotechnology, 4th Edition explores and illustrates the broad array of metabolic pathways employed for the production of primary and secondary metabolites, as well as biopharmaceuticals. This updated and expanded edition addresses the whole spectrum of fermentation biotechnology, from fermentation kinetics and dynamics to protein and co-factor engineering. It also sheds light on the new strategies employed by industrialist for increasing tolerance and endurance of microorganisms to the accumulation of toxic wastes in microbial-cell factories. The new edition builds upon the fine pedigree of its earlier predecessors and extends the spectrum of the book to reflect the multidisciplinary and buoyant nature of this subject area.
- Covers the whole spectrum of the field from fermentation kinetics to control of fermentation and protein engineering.
- Includes case studies specifically designed to illustrate industrial applications and current state-of-the-art technologies.
- Presents the contributions of eminent international academics and industrial experts.
- Offers new chapters addressing:
- The prospects and the role of bio-fuels refineries,
- Control of metabolic efflux to product formation in microbial-cell factories and
- Improving tolerance of microorganisms to toxic byproduct accumulation in the fermentation vessel.
Mansi El-Mansi has been on the faculty of Glasgow University, in Edinburgh, at Sharda University, India, and more recently at Elizade University, Nigeria. His research was the first to postulate and unravel the role of HS-CoA in the partition of carbon flux among enzymes of central metabolism during growth of Escherichia coli on acetate. He was also the first to provide evidence supporting Dan Kosahland's theory of "ultrasensitivity". His research activities, which span the best part of 30 years, yielded an extensive list of publications of which four are single-author publications in peer-reviewed journals. He is currently the Director of Science Education and Research at Bio-Ed, a United Kingdom based company.