Written and designed by a professional photographer, designer, fine art printmaker and instructor, this book is designed to simplify and accelerate the learning process and is unique in both content and presentation. Nat Coalson is an Adobe Certified Expert in Lightroom and Photoshop, and has taught photography and imaging classes and workshops for many years. The approach taken by Lightroom 2: Streamlining your Digital Photography Process is based on over 20 years of professional experience in photography, printing, and imaging, and the methods of instruction were developed through the author's work with students and clients.
At 400 pages, this book clearly explains how to use all of Lightroom's controls, and much more. Beginning with the original image capture, all the way through importing, editing, processing and presenting photos, the text also explains fundamental imaging concepts every modern photographer needs to know. Not just the "how" but also the "why". Not just recipes, but core skills you will use again and again. And by developing stronger technical skills, you will be able to focus more on creative expression.
The content of Lightroom 2: Streamlining your Digital Photography Process also demonstrates a simple, practical workflow. You will learn real-world, professional-level production techniques through straightforward examples and easy-to-follow instructions.
The book is divided into nine chapters:
- Chapter 1. Digital Imaging Foundations: resolution, bit depth, color spaces, etc.
- Chapter 2. Digital Photography Workflow: step-by-step outline of the processing pipeline
- Chapter 3. The Lightroom Workspace: modules, panels, tools, view modes, etc.
- Chapter 4. Digital Image Capture: benefits of raw, using histograms, critical exposure settings, capturing the most possible data, etc.
- Chapter 5. Import Photos into Lightroom: creating efficient file systems, automation and batch processing, using presets, etc.
- Chapter 6. Organize your Photos in Library: identifying selects, using filters and collections, working with metadata, keywording strategies, etc.
- Chapter 7. Process your Photos in Develop: evaluating the photo, adjusting global tone, contrast and color; local adjustment brushes and graduated filters, retouching, etc.
- Chapter 8. Export Images from Lightroom: choosing the right file formats, post-processing actions, using export plug-ins, etc.
- Chapter 9. Presenting your Work: working in the Slideshow, Print and Web modules
Each chapter describes in detail specific aspects of the Lightroom workflow and includes step-by-step sequences that summarize the topics presented. Throughout the book, you will learn and integrate concepts quickly and easily through numerous shortcuts, tips, reminders and warnings. Lightroom 2: Streamlining your Digital Photography Process includes over 300 color figures, including screenshots and illustrations, plus dozens of the author's own photographs.
In addition, Appendices provide a reference sheet for the most useful shortcuts, a comprehensive list of additional online Lightroom resources and a guide to optimizing Lightroom performance.
Lightroom 2: Streamlining your Digital Photography Process gives you a complete mastery of Lightroom and the digital photography workflow, as well as a solid foundation in digital imaging. As a result, you will be able to produce the best possible photographs with the least possible effort.
Foreword by renowned landscape photographer William Neill.