Professional WordPress (Paperback)
Hal Stern, David Damstra, Brad Williams
An in-depth look at the internals of the WordPress system. As the most popular blogging and content management platform available today, WordPress is a powerful tool. This exciting book goes beyond the basics and delves into the heart of the WordPress system, offering overviews of the functional aspects of WordPress as well as plug-in and theme development.
What is covered in this book?
- WordPress as a Content Management System
- Hosting Options
- Installing WordPress Files
- Database Configuration
- Dashboard Widgets
- Customizing the Dashboard
- Creating and Managing Content
- Categorizing Your Content
- Working with Media
- Comments and Discussion
- Working with Users
- Managing, Adding, Upgrading, and Using the Theme Editor
- Working with Widgets
- Adding and Managing New Plugins
- Configuring WordPress
- Exploring the Code
- Configuring Key Files
- wp-config.php file
- Advanced wp-config Options
- What's in the Core?
- WordPress Codex and Resources
- Understanding and customizing the Loop
- Building A Custom Query
- Complex Database Operations
- Dealing With Errors
- Direct Database Manipulation
- Building Your Own Taxonomies
- Plugin Packaging
- Create a Dashboard Widget
- Creating a Plugin Example
- Publish to the Plugin Directory
- Installing a Theme
- Creating Your Own Theme
- How and When to Use Custom Page Templates
- How to Use Custom Page Templates
- Pushing Content from WordPress to Other Sites
- Usability and Usability Testing
- Getting Your Site Found
- How Web Standards Get Your Data Discovered
- Load Balancing Your WordPress Site
- Securing Your WordPress Site
- Using WordPress in the Enterprise
- Is WordPress Right for Your Enterprise?
- and much more!
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.