Virtual Reality Technologies for Future Telecommunications Systems

Algirdas Pakstas, Ryoichi Komiya

  • 出版商: Wiley
  • 出版日期: 2002-10-11
  • 定價: USD $159.95
  • 售價: $1,050
  • 貴賓價: 9.8$1,029
  • 語言: 英文
  • 頁數: 230
  • 裝訂: Hardcover
  • ISBN: 0470848863
  • ISBN-13: 9780470848869

下單後立即進貨 (5~7天)

商品描述

In a face-to-face conversation, only 10 % of the message is conveyed by words, the remaining 90 % is carried via vocal pitch, emphasis, facial expressions, body language, and other related factors.

The challenge for future telecommunication systems will be to bridge the shortcomings of our current voice-orientated systems. Video conferencing and live chats are replacing our traditional forms of communication. Worldwide telecommunications networks are being redesigned to provide new multimedia services.

The goal of this book is to bring together end users, service providers and researchers from academia as well as the communications industry to share state-of-the-art information on projects, products, services, and processes for future virtual reality (VR) telecommunications systems.

Virtual Reality Technologies for Future Telecommunications Systems features:

  • today' s telecommunications systems and services - problems and limitations

  • a guide to employing VR in telecommunications networks

  • cutting edge research & rare insights into experimental VR telecommunications systems and services

  • aspects and challenges of the emerging technologies (user interface design, user behaviour, computational complexity, high-speed Internet)

  • accompanying CD with software demos and video footage

Researchers, network planners or engineers and visualisation engineers will find this edited volume useful and inspiring. The goal of the future is nothing less than electronic communication involving all five human senses!

Table of Contents

List of Contributors.

Preface.

PART 1. INTRODUCTION: WHY VIRTUAL REALITY FOR TELECOMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS?

Overview of Computer-based Virtual Reality (Eunjoo Lee and Algirdas Pakštas).

Towards Person-to-Person Virtual Reality Telecommunication Systems (Ryoichi Komiya).

PART 2. COMPUTER-BASED VIRTUAL WORLDS.

Virtual Clubs Telecommunication Systems (David Boyer, Allen Ginsberg, Anjum Khan, Mauricio Cortes, Sylvia Wilbur and Graeme Balfour).

Presence Awareness for Future Telecommunication Systems (David Boyer, Allen Ginsberg,Venkat Goud and Mark Handel).

Hyperspace Link Method for Virtual Reality Telecommunication Systems (Kanji Kato and Kazunori Shimamura).

PART 3. VIRTUAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS.

Toward Agent-based Collaborative and Interactive Virtual Environments (Lei Guo and Nicolas D. Georganas).

Collaborative Virtual Environments for Industrial Training and E-commerce (J. C. Oliveira, X. Shen and N.D. Georganas).

Virtual Reality Application for Networked Dictionary (H. Dujmic, N. Rozic, D. Begusic, J. Ursic and M. Vojnovic).

PART 4. VRTS DEFINITIONS AND COMPONENTS.

Definition of VRTS (Ryoichi Komiya).

A Prototype Terminal Proposal for Virtual Reality Telecommunication Systems (Nor Azhar Mohd Arif, Mohd Nazri Ramliy and Ryoichi Komiya).

Multimegavoxel Volumetric 3-D Display System for Distributed Collaboration (Gregg E. Favalora, Deirdre M. Hall, Michael G. Giovinco, Joshua Napoli, Rick K. Dorval , Won S. Chun and Michael Richmond).

PART 5. MOTION ANALYSIS AND TRANSMISSION.

Cyber Action: A Real-time Human Motion Instruction System using Life-sized Stereoscopic Avatars (Masayuki Ihara, Yoshihiro Shimada and Satoshi Ishibashi).

Distributed Gait Measurements (Vladan Papi&cgrave;, Vlasta Zanchi and Ante Krstulovi&cgrave;).

Realistic Telecommunications with Somatic Sensation (Tsutomu Miyasato and Ryohei Nakatsu).

PART 6. CYBERSPACES IN HIGH-SPEED NETWORK ENVIRONMENTS.

High-speed Networks and Virtual Reality Telecommunication Systems (Kanji Kato, Ryoichi Komiya and Kazunori Shimamura).

Index.