Multimedia Content and the Semantic Web: Standards, Methods and Tools
Giorgos Stamou, Stefanos Kollias
- 出版商: Wiley
- 出版日期: 2005-07-01
- 定價: $1,200
- 售價: 8.3 折 $999
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 414
- 裝訂: Hardcover
- ISBN: 0470857536
- ISBN-13: 9780470857533
The emerging idea of the semantic web is based on the maximum automation of the complete knowledge lifecycle processes: knowledge representation, acquisition, adaptation, reasoning, sharing and use.
Text-based based browsers involve a costly information-retrieval process: descriptions are inherently subjective and usage is often confined to the specific application domain for which the descriptions were created. Automatic extracted audiovisual features are, in general, more objective, domain-independent and can be native to the audiovisual content.
This book seeks to draw together in one concise volume the findings of leading researchers from around the globe. The focus, in particular, is on the MPEG-7 and MPEG-21 standards that seek to consolidate and render effective the infrastructure for the delivery and management of multimedia content.
- Provides thorough coverage of all relevant topics, including structure identification in audiovisual documents, object-based video indexing, multimedia indexing and retrieval using natural language, speech and image processing methods
- Contains detailed advice on ontology representation and querying for realizing semantics-driven applications
- Includes cutting-edge information on multimedia content description in MPEG-7 and MPEG-21
- Illustrates all theory with real-world case studies gleaned from state-of-the-art worldwide research. The contributors are pioneers in the fields of multimedia analysis and knowledge technologies
This unified, comprehensive up-to-date resource will appeal to integrators, systems suppliers, managers and consultants in the area of knowledge management and information retrieval; particularly those concerned with the automation of the semantic web. The detailed, theory-based practical advice is also essential reading for postgraduates and researchers in these fields.
Table of Contents
List of Contributors.
Foreword (Rudi Studer).
Foreword (A. Murat Tekalp).
PART ONE: KNOWLEDGE AND MULTIMEDIA.
1. Multimedia Content Description in MPEG-7 and MPEG-21 (Fernando Pereira and Rik Van de Walkle).
2. Ontology Representation and Querying for Realizing Semantics-driven Applications (Boris Motik, Alexander Maedche and Raphael Volz).
3. Adding Multimedia to the Semantic Web: Building and Applying an MPEG-7 Ontology (Jane Hunter).
4. A Fuzzy Knowledge-Based System for Multimedia Applications (Vassilis Tzouvaras, Giorgos Stamou and Stefanos Kollias).
PART TWO: MULTIMEDIA CONTENT ANALYSIS.
5. Structure Identification in an Audiovisual Document (Philippe Joly).
6. Object-Based Video Indexing (Jenny Benois-Pineau).
7. Automatic Extraction and Analysis of Visual Objects Information (Xavier Gir´o, Ver´onica Vilaplana, Ferran Marqu´es, Philippe Salembier).
8. Mining the Semantics of Visual Concepts and Context (Milind R. Naphade and John R. Smith).
9. Machine Learning in Multimedia (Nemanja Petrovic, Ira Cohen and Thomas S. Huang).
PART THREE: MULTIMEDIA CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS AND THE SEMANTIC WEB.
10. SemanticWeb Applications (Alain L´eger, Pramila Mullan, Shishir Garg and Jean Charlet).
11. Multimedia Indexing and Retrieval Using Natural Language, Speech and Image Processing Methods (Harris Papageorgiou, Prokopis Prokopidis, Athanassios Protopapas and George Carayannis).
12. Knowledge-Based Multimedia Content Indexing and Retrieval (Manolis Wallace, Yannis Avrithis, Giorgos Stamou and Stefanos Kollias).
13. Multimedia Content Indexing and Retrieval Using an Object Ontology (Ioannis Kompatsiaris, Vasileios Mezaris and Michael G. Strintzis).
14. Context-Based Video Retrieval for Life-Log Applications (Kiyoharu Aizawa and Tetsuro Hori).