On Display: The Art of Mobile User Interface Design
Gone are the days of predictable expectations about what a user interface should and can do, as evidenced by award-winning devices like the iPad and iPhone 4. This book takes you behind the scenes of the most popular and unique applications featured in the Apple App Store so that you can learn from the best. iOS expert Chris Tome introduces you to an array of bestselling apps and explains how these apps and their developers pushed the limits of the iOS environment in order to create unique, bleeding-edge, highly functional UIs that completely depart for the traditional user interface. You'll go behind the scenes to learn what works, when to follow the rules and when to break them, and what to avoid so that you can design successful and stunning iOS UIs.
- Takes you into the eye of the app store storm so you can see for yourself what works and what doesn't when designing extraordinary iOS UIs
- Covers technical and conceptual details of UI design from inception to post-publication
- Addresses major topics such as conceptualization, flow, asset creation, optimization, and integration
- Features full-color screen shots and illustrations throughout using case studies of six distinctly different apps to show you how award-winning designers approached the creation of their designs
- Explains how designing and coding touch-based UIs for Apple's mobile devices has introduced new opportunities and challenges
Peek behind the coding and design curtains to see how jaw-dropping apps have become iCandy and work across the entire family of iOS products.