GPS For Dummies
- 出版商: Hungry Minds
- 出版日期: 2004-06-04
- 售價: $870
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $827
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 408
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 0764569333
- ISBN-13: 9780764569333
- Offers down-to-earth guidance for hikers, cross-country skiers, ATVers, and other outdoor enthusiasts who own or are thinking of buying a GPS receiver, as well as people interested in digital map-making
- GPS (global positioning system) receivers draw on satellite signals to precisely determine a person's geographic position; as prices for these devices have gone down-entry-level models now sell for $100-sales have risen dramatically
- Provides coverage of the increasingly popular sport of "geocaching," in which people hunt for a canister hidden at precise geographic coordinates
- Explains how to turn cell phones and PDAs into GPS receivers and what hardware is required for connecting a GPS receiver to a PC
- Shows how to use popular, inexpensive software packages to create topographic, aerial photographs, and three-dimensional maps, and discusses free Web-hosted map services
- The author's diverse background in archeology, outdoor rescue, adventure racing navigation, and dis aster response set him apart from other people writing about this topic
Table of Contents:
Part I: All About Digital Maps.
Chapter 1: Getting Started with Digital Maps.
Chapter 2: Dissecting Maps.
Part II: All About GPS.
Chapter 3: GPS Fundamentals.
Chapter 4: Grasping Important GPS Concepts.
Chapter 5: Selecting and Getting Started with a GPS Receiver.
Chapter 6: Using GPS with a PDA.
Chapter 7: Geocaching.
Part III: Digital Mapping on Your Computer.
Chapter 8: Digital Mapping Hardware Considerations.
Chapter 9: Interfacing a GPS Receiver to a Computer.
Chapter 10: Using GPS Manufacturer Mapping Software.
Chapter 11: Finding Places and Coordinates.
Chapter 12: On the Road with DeLorme Street Atlas USA.
Chapter 13: On the Ground with Maptech Terrain Navigator.
Chapter 14: From the Air with USAPhotoMaps.
Chapter 15: Creating and Using Digital Maps with OziExplorer.
Chapter 16: Going Three Dimensional with 3DEM.
Part IV: Using Web-hosted Mapping Services.
Chapter 17: Saving and Editing Street Maps.
Chapter 18: Navigating Web Road Maps.
Chapter 19: Exploring Web Topographic Maps.1
Chapter 20: Overhead Image Web Sites.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 21: Ten Great GPS and Map Web Sites.
Chapter 22: Ten Map Printing Tips.
Chapter 23: Ten Tips for Athletes.