- An easy, practical guide to wireless networks, which allow users to roam wireless-enabled locations without being restricted by cables
- Shows step by step what it takes to plan a wireless network, set it up, make it work, and keep it safe
- Along the way, expert authors Davis and Lewis explain how to perform a site survey and explore issues such as selecting the right standard, mode, access point, channel, and antenna
- Explains how to install clients, set up roaming, and guard against risks and threats such as war driving, jamming, hijacking, and man-in-the-middle attacks
- Contains useful information on IEEE wireless standards, security vulnerabilities, administration tools, and places to connect while on the road
Table of Contents:
Part I: Planning and Acquiring Your Network.
Chapter 1: Removing the Tethers: Entering the Wireless World.
Chapter 2: If You Fail to Plan, You Plan to Fail.
Chapter 3: Matching Wireless Technologies to Your Plan.
Part II: Implementing Your Wireless Network.
Chapter 4: Getting a Quick Start with Wireless Personal Area Networks.
Chapter 5: Moving On to a Wireless LAN: Your Wireless Access Point.
Chapter 6: Connecting Your Clients.
Chapter 7: Building the Multi-Zone Network.
Chapter 8: Using Wireless on the Road to Connect to the Office.
Part III: Using Your Network Securely.
Chapter 9: Considering a Deadbolt: Understanding the Risks of Wireless Networks.
Chapter 10: Designing a Secure Network.
Chapter 11: Maintaining Network Security.
Chapter 12: Secure Wireless Access with Virtual Private Networking.
Part IV: Keeping Your Network on the Air — Administration and Troubleshooting.
Chapter 13: Problems with Keeping on the Air.
Chapter 14: Bridging Networks to Manage Coverage.
Chapter 15: Dealing with Network Throughput Issues.
Chapter 16: It’s Ten O’Clock: Do You Know Where Your Access Points Are?
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 17: Ten Administrator Tools and What They Do.
Chapter 18: Top Ten Ways to Secure Your Network.
Chapter 19: Ten Ways Wireless Is Used in Business.
Part VI: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Industry Trade Associations.
Appendix B: Wireless Standards.
Appendix C: The Fundamentals of Radio Frequency.