"The Adobe Creative Suite combines Photoshop and Illustrator into a fluid,
cohesive graphics engine with mor epower and flexibility than ever before. As a
result, it's critical that designers make the shift from thinking about them as
stand-alone products and develop and intuitive understanding of how the two
applications complement each other. Peter Bauer has done a stellar job of
presenting Photoshop and Illustrator in this very context, teaching what's new
in each application, as well as how the two programs work together. Pete's
experience as a detail-oriented teacher and a great communicator comes through
loud and clear...This book gets it done." -Daniel Giordan, Design Director, AOL
Peter Bauer and his team of Adobe graphics experts have crafted this
book to grow with you as you develop your skills.
It provides an introduction to Photoshop and Illustrator as well as the kind
of in-depth information that you'll need as you move toward mastery of more
advanced techniques. If you buy only one book on Photoshop and Illustrator, this
is the one that will help you both today and tomorrow.
- Pack the power of the Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS in your arsenal of
- Master Photoshop's improved filters, editing tools, and integrated Camera
- Expand your creativity with Illustrator's new styles, templates, and
- Keep your projects on-time and on-track from start to finish wiht the new
Version Cue project management software.
- Take advantage of digital video support features in Photoshop and
- Swap files between Photoshop and Illustrator, and use suite-wide color
On the CD-ROM:
- Over 100 color images from the book's examples.
- Bonus chapters covering advanced techniques.
- Demo versions of powerful Photoshop and Illustrator plug-ins and
Table of Contents：
Who Should Read This Book? Why You Should Use
the Adobe Creative Suite. Windows and Macintosh. How This Book Is Organized.
I. CREATIVE SUITE COMMON CONCEPTS.
1. The Adobe Creative Suite with Version Cue.
The Suite Concept. An Introduction to Version
Cue. Enabling Version Cue. Accessing Version Cue Features in the Creative Suite
Programs. Top New Features in the Creative Suite Programs. Mastering the Adobe
2. Choosing Hardware and Setting Up Your
The Adobe Creative Suite: Minimum Requirements.
Customizable Keyboard Shortcuts: Efficiency at Hand. Setting Photoshops
Preferences. Setting ImageReadys Preferences. Setting Illustrators Preferences.
Quick Fix—Replacing the Preferences. Mastering the Adobe Creative Suite.
3. Understanding and Choosing File Formats.
Choosing a File Format. The Final Destinations.
Photoshops File Formats. Illustrators File Formats. File Formats for InDesign.
GoLive and File Formats. Mastering the Adobe Creative Suite.
4. Pixels, Vectors, and Resolutions.
Defining Raster and Vector Artwork. Vectors in
Photoshop. Rasterizing Objects in Illustrator. Image Resolution. Mastering the
Adobe Creative Suite.
5. Color, in Theory and in Practice.
Artwork, Imagery, and Color. The Two Types of
Color. RGB, CMYK, and Spot Colors. Photoshops Other Color Modes and Models.
Mastering the Adobe Creative Suite.
6. Color Management in the Adobe Creative
What Is Color Management? Setting Up Your System
for Color Management. Color Management in Photoshop. Color Settings in the Other
Creative Suite Applications. Mastering Photoshop.
7. Working Smarter with Scripting and
Scripting the Adobe Creative Suite. Photoshops
Actions. Working with Actions in Photoshop. Creating Custom Actions in
Photoshop. Photoshops Automate Commands. ImageReadys Conditional Actions.
Actions in Illustrator. Illustrators Custom Actions. Mastering the Adobe
II. FUNDAMENTAL PHOTOSHOP CS.
8. Bringing Images into Photoshop.
Digital Camera Basics. Common Problems with
Digital Camera Images. From Camera to Photoshop. Photoshops Improved File
Browser. Scanners: Hardware Basics. Scanning Images into Photoshop. Stock
Photography and Other Existing Artwork. Mastering Photoshop.
9. Making Selections and Creating Masks.
Selections and Masks: Telling Photoshop Where to
Work. The Selection Tools. Selection Commands. Alpha Channels and Masks. Layer
Masks, Vector Masks, and Clipping Masks. Mastering Photoshop.
10. Working with Layers and Layer
Working with Layers. Layers Palette Overview.
Photoshop at Work: Creating Clipping Masks. Layer Blending Modes, Opacity, and
Transparency. Organizing Layers with Layer Sets. Photoshops Specialty Layers.
Photoshop at Work: Transforming Layers. Using Layer Styles. Using Layer Comps.
11. The Pen Tool and Shape Layers: Vectors in
Photoshops Paths. Creating Paths in Photoshop.
Photoshops Shape Layers. Clipping Paths and Vector Masks. Mastering Photoshop.
12. Adding Text: Photoshops Type
Photoshops Type Capability. The Type Tools. The
Type Palettes and Commands. Spell Check and Find/Replace. Fonts and Font
Embedding. Mastering Photoshop.
13. Photoshops Painting Tools and Brushes.
Painting in Photoshop. The Brushes Palette.
Brush Settings, Pane by Pane. Defining Custom Brushes and Brush Sets. Mastering
14. Selecting and Applying Filters.
Working with Filters. Using the Filter Gallery.
Additional Filter Effects. Mastering Photoshop.
15. Image Cropping, Resizing, and Sharpening.
A Few Notes on Image Composition. Cropping to
Improve Composition. Resizing Canvases and Images. The Science of Sharpening.
Photoshop at Work: Using the Blur Filter to Sharpen Images. Mastering Photoshop.
III. POWER PHOTOSHOP.
16. Channels: The Ultimate Creative Control.
The Three Types of Channels. The Channels and
Histogram Palettes. Working with Channels. Advanced Channel Manipulation.
17. Manipulating Color and Tonality.
Color Adjustment Theory. Evaluating Images.
Adjusting Tonality. Color Adjustment and Effects Commands. Mastering Photoshop.
18. Mastering the Blending Modes.
Understanding Blending Modes. Working with
Blending Modes. Blending Modes, One by One. Mastering Photoshop.
19. Repairing and Enhancing Images with the
Sharpen Filters. Blur Filters. Noise Filters.
Video Filters. Other Filters. Using the Extract Filter. Working with the Pattern
Maker. Mastering Photoshop.
20. Adding Special Effects with the Filter
Gallery and the Creative Filters.
The Filter Gallery Revisited. Additional
Creative Filters: Pixelate, Render, and Stylize. The Liquify Command. Mastering
21. Preparing for Print.
Process Printing. Terms and Concepts. The Basics
of Printing. Color Issues. Service Bureaus, Print Brokers, and Printers.
22. Save for Web and Image Optimization.
Graphics on the Web: Overview. Photoshops Save
for Web. Optimizing in ImageReady. File Format Optimization Settings. Working
with the Color Table. Photoshop at Work: Optimizing a Color Table. Editing
Output Settings. Photoshop at Work: How to Optimize Files with Alpha Masks.
23. Creating Rollovers and Adding Animation.
ImageReadys Rollovers and Animations: Overview.
Creating Rollovers. ImageReadys Animation-Creation Capability. Animations and
ImageReadys Export Command. Mastering ImageReady.
V. ILLUSTRATOR CS.
24. Creating and Editing Paths.
Paths and Vector Art. How Anchor Points Shape
Paths. The Pen Tools. Editing Paths. Using the Paintbrush and Pencil Tools.
Additional Path-Related Tools. Illustrators Auto Trace Tool. Mastering
25. Working with the Shape, Drawing, and
Illustrators Object Creation Tools. The Basic
Object Creation Tools. The Complex Object Creation Tools. Selection Tools and
Commands. Illustrators Select Menu. Compound Shapes and the Pathfinder Palette.
Graphs in Illustrator. Mastering Illustrator.
26. Working with the Four Types of Brushes.
Working with Brushes. Creating and Modifying
Brushes. Mastering Illustrator.
27. Type and Text in Illustrator.
Understanding, Adding, and Fixing Fonts.
Illustrators Type Tools. The Palettes. Type-Related Menu Commands. Customizing
Text Containers. Type Outlines and Attributes. Mastering Illustrator.
28. Transforming and Distorting Objects.
Transformations and Distortions in Illustrator.
The Basics of Transforming. The Transformations. Envelope Distortions.
Illustrators Liquify Tools. Mastering Illustrator.
29. Creating Blends.
Creating Blends. Examining the Blend Options.
Adjusting Blend Paths. Expanding a Blend. Mastering Illustrator.
30. Illustrators Layers, Sublayers, and
Why Layers? The Layers Palette. Organizing with
Layers. Designating Layers as Templates. Targeting Layers, Groups, and Objects.
Special Utilization of Layers. Mastering Illustrator.
31. Defining and Applying Patterns.
General Rules Governing Patterns. Fill Patterns.
Brush Patterns. Mastering Illustrator.
32. Using the Appearance and Style Palettes.
Appearances and Graphic Styles. The Appearance
Palette. The Appearance Palette Menu. The Graphic Styles Palette. Graphic Styles
Libraries. Mastering Illustrator.
33. Working with Gradients and Gradient
Working with Gradients. Gradient Meshes.
34. Using Masks, Transparency, and Blending
Transparency and Opacity. Clipping Masks.
Opacity Masks. Working with Transparency in Illustrator. Using Blending Modes.
35. Illustrators Effects and Filters.
About Filters and Effects. Illustrators Filter
and Effect Menus. The Top of the Menus. The Middle of the Menus—Vector. The
Bottom of the Menus—Raster. Mastering Illustrator.
36. Linking and Embedding Images and Fonts.
Linking Raster Images. Embedding Raster and
Vector Images. Embedding Text Files and Fonts. Mastering Illustrator.
37. Illustrator and the Web.
Creating Web Graphics with Illustrator. Symbols
and Symbolism for the Web. Save for Web and Image Optimizing. Advanced Web
Capabilities in Illustrator. Mastering Illustrator.
38. Moving Artwork Between Illustrator and
Illustrator Versus Photoshop. Moving Artwork
from Illustrator to Photoshop. Moving Artwork from Photoshop to Illustrator.