For Introductory Calculus-based Physics Courses.
Putting physics first
Based on his storied research and teaching, Eric Mazur’s Principles & Practice of Physics builds an understanding of physics that is both thorough and accessible. Unique organization and pedagogy allow students to develop a true conceptual understanding of physics alongside the quantitative skills needed in the course.
- New learning architecture:
- The book is structured to help students learn physics in an organized way that encourages comprehension and reduces distraction.
- Physics on a contemporary foundation:
- Traditional texts delay the introduction of ideas that we now see as unifying and foundational. This text builds physics on those unifying foundations, helping students to develop an understanding that is stronger, deeper, and fundamentally simpler.
- Research-based instruction:
- This text uses a range of research-based instructional techniques to teach physics in the most effective manner possible.
The result is a groundbreaking book that puts physics first, thereby making it more accessible to students and easier for instructors to teach. MasteringPhysics® works with the text to create a learning program that enables students to learn both in and out of the classroom.
This program provides a better teaching and learning experience for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Build an integrated, conceptual understanding of physics:
- Help students gain a deeper understanding of the unified laws that govern our physical world through the innovative chapter structure and pioneering table of contents.
- Encourage informed problem solving:
- The separate Practice Volume empowers students to reason more effectively and better solve problems.
- Personalize learning with MasteringPhysics:
- MasteringPhysics provides students with engaging experiences that coach them through physics with specific wrong-answer feedback, hints, and a wide variety of educationally effective content.
Table of Contents
2. Motion in One Dimension
6. Principle of Relativity
10. Motion in a Plane
11. Motion in a Circle
14. Special Relativity
15. Periodic Motion
16. Waves in One Dimension
17. Waves in Two and Three Dimensions
20. Energy Transferred Thermally
21. Degradation of Energy
22. Electric Interactions
23. The Electric Field
24. Gauss’s Law
25. Work and Energy in Electrostatics
26. Charge Separation and Storage
27. Magnetic Interactions
28. Magnetic Fields of Charged Particles in Motion
29. Changing Magnetic Fields
30. Changing Electric Fields
31. Electric Circuits
34. Wave and Particle Optics