New To This Edition
Organic Chemistry offers the following features to facilitate learning:
Highly refined presentation and features present key principles of organic chemistry in the context of fundamental reasoning and problem solving.
Expanded coverage of Acid/Base Chemistry in Chapter 2 and separation of the material on Substitution and Eliminationinto two distinct chapters allow students to build upon their existing knowledge and move through their first mechanisms with greater clarity and with more opportunities to test and apply their understanding without getting overwhelmed.
Problem Solving Strategies have been added and explicitly highlighted in each chapter, including new strategies for resonance, acid-base equilibria, and multistep synthesis.
Green chemistry is emphasized with presentation of less-toxic, environmentally friendly reagents in many situations, such as oxidation of alcohols with bleach rather than with chromium reagents.
Chapter Openers focus on applications discussed in the chapter, with introductions and images for a more enticing, contemporary presentation.
Reaction Starbursts appear before the end of chapter material of every ‘reaction-based chapter’ to help students better understand and mentally organize reactive similarities and distinctions.
NEW! Visual Guides to Organic Reactions place the reactions covered in major chapters within the overall context of the reactions covered in the course.
New! Over 100 new problems include more synthesis problems and problems based on recent literature.
UPDATED! Art has been revised throughout to provide consistency and clarity in the text, giving students access to detailed representations of molecular and orbital art.
1. Structure and Bonding
2. Acids and Bases: Functional Groups
3. Structure and Stereochemistry of Alkanes
4. The Study of Chemical Reactions
6. Alkyl Halides. Nucleophilic Substitution
7. Structure and Synthesis of Alkenes; Elimination
8: Reactions of Alkenes
10. Structure and Synthesis of Alcohols
11. Reactions of Alcohols
12. Infrared Spectroscopy and Mass Spectrometry
13. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
14. Ethers, Epoxides and Thioethers
15. Conjugated Systems, Orbital Symmetry, and Ultraviolet Spectroscopy
16. Aromatic Compounds
17. Reactions of Aromatic Compounds
18. Ketones and Aldehydes
20. Carboxylic Acids
21. Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
22. Condensations and Alpha Substitutions of Carbonyl Compounds
23. Carbohydrates and Nucleic Acids
24. Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins
26. Synthetic Polymers