$653MFC Windows 程序設計, 2/e
For courses in General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry
Make connections between chemistry and future health-related careers
General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry: Structures of Life engages students by helping them see the connections between chemistry, the world around them, and future health-related careers. Known for its friendly writing style, student focus, robust problem-solving pedagogy, and engaging health-related applications, the text prepares students for their careers. The text breaks chemical concepts and problem solving into clear, manageable pieces to ensure students stay on track and motivated throughout their first, and often only, chemistry course.
With the newly revised 6th Edition, best-selling author Karen Timberlake and new contributing author MaryKay Orgill connect chemistry to real-world and career applications. Their goal is to help students become critical thinkers by understanding scientific concepts that will form a basis for making important decisions about issues concerning health and the environment and their intended careers.
The new edition introduces more problem-solving strategies, more problem-solving guides, new Analyze the Problem with Connect features, new Try It First and Engage features, conceptual and challenge problems, and new sets of combined problems–all to help students develop the problem-solving skills they’ll need beyond the classroom.
Also available with Mastering Chemistry or as an easy-to-use, standalone Pearson eText
Mastering™ is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted author content with digital tools developed to engage students and emulate the office-hour experience, Mastering personalizes learning and often improves results for each student. Learn more about Mastering Chemistry.
Pearson eText allows educators to easily share their own notes with students so they see the connection between their reading and what they learn in class–motivating them to keep reading, and keep learning. Portable access lets students study on the go, even offline. And, reading analytics offer insight into how students use the eText, helping educators tailor their instruction. Learn more about Pearson eText.
Career Focus Engages Students
- New and Updated - Chapter-opening Clinical Career focus provide engaging stories relating how chemistry is used daily in contemporary health-related professions and introduce the chemical concepts in each chapter. The chapter openers are now more clinically oriented with each story revisited with a Clinical Update at the end of chapter.
- New - Clinical Updates appears in the end-of-chapter material for each chapter and revisits the story from the Chapter-opening Career focus in the context of the chemistry learned in the chapter. Clinical Updates describe the follow-up treatment and provide additional application problems. Icons throughout the text highlight Clinical Update problems and provide examples of how allied health professionals use chemistry daily in their careers.
- New - Clinical Applications added to Practice Problems show the relevance between the chemistry content and medicine and health.
- Chemistry Links to Health and Environment throughout the text relate chemistry concepts to real-life topics in health, the environment, and medicine that interest students.
- Updated - Practice Problems, Sample Problems, and art demonstrate the connection between the chemistry being discussed and how these skills will be needed in professional experience.
Builds Students’ Critical-Thinking and Problem-Solving Skills
- New - Review topics appear in the margin at the beginning of a Section, listing the Key Math Skills and Core Chemistry Skills from the previous chapters.
- New - Engage feature in the margin asks students to think about the paragraph they are reading and to test their understanding by answering the Engage question.
- New - Strategies for Learning Chemistry describe successful ways to study and learn chemistry.
- New - Expanded Study Checks in Sample Problems now contain multiple questions to give students additional self-testing practice.
- Updated - Concept Maps reflect the text’s new design. A Concept Map at the end of each chapter shows how all the key concepts fit together, encouraging learning with a visual guide to the interrelationship among all the concepts in each chapter.
- New - Try It First features have been added to each Sample Problem between the Question and the Solution. They remind students that the effort of attempting to solve a problem before looking at a solution helps to connect to newly learned ideas, practice retrieval of information, identify gaps in understanding, identify how ideas are related, and show them how to change their approach to the problem in the future.
- Updated - Analyze the Problem features included in the Solutions of the Sample Problems strengthen critical-thinking skills and illustrate the breakdown of a word problem into the components required to solve it.
- New - Connect feature added to Analyze the Problem boxes indicates the relationships between Given and Need.
- Updated - Combining Ideas features offer sets of integrated problems that test students’ understanding and develop critical thinking by integrating topics from two or more previous chapters.
- New - The STEPs in the Sample Problems include a worked-out Solution plan for solving the problem.
- New - TEST feature added in the margin encourages students to solve related Practice Problems to practice retrieval of content for exams.
- Expanded - Analyze the Problem features are included in the solutions to the Sample Problems to strengthen critical-thinking skills and to help students break down word problems into the components required to solve them.
- Updated - Biochemistry chapters 15, 17, 19 to 24 strengthen connections between sections, and include new Study Checks and new Chemistry Links to Health such as Dental Cavities and Xylitol Gum, A Prostaglandin-like Medication for Glaucoma That Also Thickens Eyelashes, and Taking Advantage of Enzyme Inhibition to Treat Cancer.
- Additional Questions at the end of chapter provide further study and application of the topics from the entire chapter, while Challenge Questions provide complex questions that promote critical thinking, group work, or cooperative learning environments.
Table of Contents
1. Chemistry in Our Lives
2. Chemistry and Measurements
3. Matter and Energy
4. Atoms and Elements
5. Nuclear Chemistry
6. Ionic and Molecular Compounds
7. Chemical Reactions and Quantities
10. Reaction Rates and Chemical Equilibrium
11. Acids and Bases
12. Introduction to Organic Chemistry: Hydrocarbons
13. Alcohols, Phenols, Thiols, and Ethers
14. Aldehydes and Ketones
16. Carboxylic Acids and Esters
18. Amines and Amides
19. Amino Acids and Proteins
20. Enzymes and Vitamins
21. Nucleic Acids and Protein Synthesis
22. Metabolic Pathways for Carbohydrates
23. Metabolism and Energy Production
24. Metabolic Pathways for Lipids and Amino Acids