Finite Mathematics, 12/e (Hardcover)
Soo T. Tan
- 出版商: Cengage Learning
- 出版日期: 2017-02-16
- 售價: $1,360
- 貴賓價: 9.8 折 $1,333
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 704
- ISBN: 1337405787
- ISBN-13: 9781337405782
- Many new rote exercises have been added to provide students with extra practice opportunities.
- MOTIVATING REAL-WORLD APPLICATIONS: Continuing with the theme of previous editions, more than 100 new and up-dated applications have been added to motivate students and to illustrate the relevance of mathematics in everyday life. Topics include: Facebook’s mobile-only users, ad-blocking, income inequality, global warming, terrorism, student loans, ransomware, the Affordable Care Act, Buzz rankings, smartphone dependency, and job preparedness.
- A NEW SECTION ON CRYPTOGRAPHY has been added to the discussion of inverses of matrices. Examples and exercises in this section show how matrices can be used to decode secret messages.
- WEBASSIGN: FINITE MATHEMATICS FOR THE MANAGERIAL, LIFE, AND SOCIAL SCIENCES, Twelfth Edition, is fully supported by WebAssign, the powerful online homework and course management system that engages students in learning the math. WebAssign includes new end-of-chapter exercises and pre-built assignments vetted by trusted subject matter experts along with robust course, section, assignment, and question settings and online testing to help instructors foster a deeper understanding of course concepts.
- CAREFULLY-CRAFTED EXERCISE SETS: SECTION EXERCISE SETS include Self-Check Exercises that let students solve problems and check their work against worked-out solutions, Concept Exercises that let students gauge their understanding, and Exercise Sets with a mix of rote and applied problems. CHAPTER REVIEW EXERCISE SETS include Summary of Principal Formulas and Terms for easy reference, fill-in-the-blank Concept Review questions that reinforce chapter terms and concepts, Review Exercises, and Before Moving On Exercises that ensure students have mastered the skills they need in later chapters.
- OPTIONAL TECHNOLOGY: The optional coverage of technology gives instructors different ways to tailor technology to their course needs. The Using Technology sections have a traditional Example-Exercise format with step-by-step procedures and illustrations for ease of use in the classroom or self-study by students. Exploring with Technology questions in the main body of the text enhance students’ understanding by shedding further light on examples in the text through numerical or graphical solutions. The Modeling with Data exercises, found in many of the "Using Technology" subsections, show students how some of the functions found in the applications are constructed.
- PORTFOLIOS highlight the careers of real people and discuss how they incorporate math into their daily professional activities. Among those interviewed are the City Manager of Fanfoto and the Technical Director, Europe, of SpiderCloud Wireless.
- EXPLORE AND DISCUSS questions take concepts a step further and spark student discussion.
- STUDY TABS that work: Convenient color-coded Study Tabs, similar to Post-It® notes, make it easy for students to flag pages that they want to revisit later.
- Other pedagogical tools that help students master the material include "Notes" to clarify more mathematical ideas and "Cautions" highlighting common pitfalls.
1. STRAIGHT LINES AND LINEAR FUNCTIONS.
2. SYSTEMS OF LINEAR EQUATIONS AND MATRICES.
3. LINEAR PROGRAMMING: A GEOMETRIC APPROACH.
4. LINEAR PROGRAMMING: AN ALGEBRAIC APPROACH.
5. MATHEMATICS OF FINANCE.
6. SETS AND COUNTING.
8. PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTIONS AND STATISTICS.
9. MARKOV CHAINS AND THE THEORY OF GAMES.
APPENDIX A Introduction to Logic.
A.1 Propositions and Connectives.
A.2 Truth Tables.
A.3 The Conditional and Biconditional Connectives.
A.4 Laws of Logic.
A.6 Applications of Logic to Switching Networks
APPENDIX B The System of Real Numbers.
APPENDIX C Review of Logarithms.
APPENDIX D Tables.
Table 1. Binomial Probabilities.
Table 2. The Standard Normal Distribution.