Beginning SQL Server 2008 Administration
Robert Walters, Grant Fritchey, Carmen Taglienti
Beginning SQL Server 2008 Administration is essential for anyone wishing to learn about implementing and managing SQL Server 2008 database. From college students, to experienced database administrators from other platforms, to those already familiar with SQL Server and wanting to fill in some gaps of knowledge, this book will bring all readers up to speed on the enterprise platform Microsoft SQL Server 2008.
- Clearly describes relational database concepts
- Explains the SQL Server database engine and supporting tools
- Shows various database maintenance scenarios
What you'll learn
- Understand core concepts of relational databases
- Install SQL Server in your environment
- Use the tools that come with SQL Server to perform daily administrative tasks
- Design and implement a database maintenance plan in SQL Server
- Configure database security and protect your sensitive data from intruders
- Meet regulatory and government compliance requirements like Sarbanes-Oxley and the Payment Card Industry (PCI) regulations
Who is this book for?
This book is primarily for those who are aspiring to become SQL Server 2008 database administrators. Reading this book gives you a great foundation of knowledge upon which to build a future career in database administration. You might be new to SQL Server 2008, or you might have experience with competing products such as Oracle. Either way, this book gets you up to speed quickly in managing SQL Server 2008, helping you transfer your existing knowledge into the SQL Server 2008 environment.
About the Apress Beginning Series
The Beginning series from Apress is the right choice to get the information you need to land that crucial entry–level job. These books will teach you a standard and important technology from the ground up because they are explicitly designed to take you from “novice to professional.” You’ll start your journey by seeing what you need to know—but without needless theory and filler. You’ll build your skill set by learning how to put together real–world projects step by step. So whether your goal is your next career challenge or a new learning opportunity, the Beginning series from Apress will take you there—it is your trusted guide through unfamiliar territory!