Oracle SQL Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (Expert's Voice in Oracle)
Grant Allen, Bob Bryla, Darl Kuhn, Chris Allen
Have you ever been faced with a new type of query to write, or been asked to create an unfamiliar database object? In such situations, you have probably wanted a good, solid example upon which to build, and instead have been forced into the drudgery of parsing railroad-style syntax diagrams in Oracle's manual set. This book frees you from that drudgery by providing tested and working examples of SQL used to solve common problems faced by developers and database administrators on a daily basis. When you're under pressure to get results fast, Oracle SQL Recipes is there at your side.
- Example-based, providing quality solutions to everyday problems
- Respects your time by putting solutions first and keeping discussions short
- Solves the most commonly encountered SQL problems
What you'll learn
- Recognize common query patterns and apply their corresponding solutions.
- Solve common reporting problems such as sorting rows into buckets.
- Troubleshoot SQL performance problems.
- Create and manage database objects such as tables, indexes, and views.
- Work with XML and tree-structured data.
- Take advantage of analytic functions, regular expressions, hierarchical query support, and other powerful aspects of Oracle SQL.
Who is this book for?
Oracle SQL Recipes is written for developers and database administrators who write SQL to run against an Oracle database. It is further written for those whose time is precious, and who just wish for a good example to help them get on with their work. If you want to spend your time writing SQL rather than reading about it, then this is the right book for you.
About the Apress Recipes Series
Apress Recipes series books are carefully selected compendiums of solutions and techniques to help you solve the difficulties that regularly beset developers when they are learning a new language or technology. The recipes are short, and each provides a step–by–step explanation and working code example that allows you to successfully solve your problems and progress with your project.