Guided Wave Photonics: Fundamentals and Applications with MATLAB (Hardcover)
Le Nguyen Binh
A comprehensive presentation of the theory and simulation of optical waveguides and wave propagations in a guided environment, Guided Wave Photonics: Fundamentals and Applications with MATLAB® supplies fundamental and advanced understanding of integrated optical devices that are currently employed in modern optical fiber communications systems and photonic signal processing systems. While there are many texts available in this area, none provide the breadth and depth of coverage and computational rigor found in this one.
The author has distilled the information into a very practical, usable format. In a logical progression of theory and application, he starts with Maxwell's equations and progresses directly to optical waveguides (integrated optic and fiber optic), couplers, modulators, nonlinear effects and interactions, and system applications. With up-to-date coverage of applicable algorithms, design guides, material systems, and the latest device and system applications, the book addresses:
- Fundamentals of guiding optical waves, including theoretical and simplified techniques
- Linear and nonlinear aspects of optical waveguiding
- Manipulating lightwaves by coupling and splitting
- Interactions of lightwaves and ultra-fast electrical travelling waves in modern optical modulators
- Applications of guided wave devices in optical communication systems and optical signal processing
Providing fundamental understanding of lightwave guiding and manipulating techniques, the text covers the field of integrated photonics by giving the principles, theoretical and applications. It explains how to solve the optical modes and their coupling as well as how to manipulate lightwaves for applications in communications and signal processing.