Crafting Wearables: Blending Technology with Fashion (Technology in Action)
Sibel Deren Guler, Madeline Gannon, Kate Sicchio
This book introduces the exciting intersection of technology and fashion known as wearable computing. Learn about the future of electronics in clothing and testiles, and be a part of creating that future! Crafting Wearables begins with the history of the field, then covers current practices and future trends. You will gain deeper insight into the strategy behind the design of wearable devices while learning about the tools and materials needed to start your own wearables toolbox.
In a time when consumer electronics are becoming smaller and seamlessly integrated into our lives, it is important to understand how technology can improve and augment your lifestyle. Wearables are in a sense the most organic and natural interface we can design, yet there is still doubt about how quickly wearable technologies will become the cultural norm. Furthermore, skills that have become less valuable over the years, such as sewing, are making a return with the wearables movement.
- Gives a better understanding of wearable technology and how it has evolved
- Teaches basic skills and techniques to familiarize you with the tools and materials
- Showcases breakthrough designs and discoveries that impact our everyday interactions
- Learn the history of how technology in fashion has evolved over time
- Discover interesting materials and fabrics for use in wearable technology
- Glimpse new tools for designing wearable technology and fashion
- Rediscover sewing and related skills that every wearables enthusiast should learn
- Learn how new techniques in textile manufacturing could disrupt the fashion industry
- Understand and respond to the cultural and societal developments around wearables