Chapter 1 (Installing Python)
Different ways to install Python:
- Compiling from source
- OS packages
Chapter 2 (Packaging) (31 pages - 11 new pages)
How pip works and how to build packages.
The following sections need to change
Section about pip (adds 4 pages)
- Add explanation about how the resolver works
- Explain pip-compile
Poetry and pipenv (changes 2 pages, adds 2 pages)
- Needs to be separated into two sections- Poetry section updated to reflect changes in Poetry
- Pipenv section updated to reflect changes in Pipenv
4setup.py and wheel (rewritten, changes 1 page, adds 2 pages)
- python -m build and setup.cfg
- Add details about binary wheels and manylinux
- Show a complete example
Chapter 3: Interactive usage
How to use the interactive interpreter, other text-mode interactive consoles, and Jupyter.
Chapter 4: OS Automation (16 pages - 4 new pages)
Automating OS-related things like files and processes.
Section about files (2 pages added)- Cover using struct to parse binary data
- Cover pathlib
New section: low-level networking (2 pages) Cover socket, socket options, and how it relates
to TCP networking.
5 Chapter 5: Testing (30 pages - 10 new pages)
Writing unit tests for DevOps code.
Section about testing files (4 pages added)
- Improve performance of file testing using tmpfs and preloading libraries
- Add information about temporary directory context manager
Section about testing networking (4 pages added)
- Show how to test httpx with the WSGI support
- Show how to test low-level socket networking with DI
Section about testing processes (2 pages changed)
- Mention run and Popen
- Show how to write tests with DI on run and Popen
6 Chapter 6: Text manipulation
How to work with text: searching, modifiying, formatting, etc.
Chapter 7: Requests -> httpx (rewritten - 10 new pages)
- Focus on httpx instead
- Cover async usage
Chapter 8: Cryptography
Symmetric and asymmetric encryption and digital signatures, and how to use them in DevOps
Chapter 9: Paramiko
Using paramiko to automate SSH use.
Chapter 10: Salt Stack
Using salt stack and writing new modules.
Chapter 11: Ansible
Using ansible and writing new modules.
Chapter 12: Docker (5 new pages)
- Clean up examples - they are hard to read
- Show complete example of layering, not just talk in theory
- Show complete example of running, not just talk in theory
- Add section about how to build containers for Python applications
Chapter 13: AWS
Automating AWS using the boto3 library.
New: Chapter 14: Kubernetes (10 pages)
Chapter goal: Learn how to automate k8s with Python and how to run Python applications on k8s
- Packaging Python applications for kubernetes
- Using secrets
- Thinking in Pods
- Automating k8s from Python using the REST API
- Writing k8s operators with Python
New: Chapter 15: Terraform (5 pages)
- Using the Terraform Python CDK
- Generating Terraform JSON from Python