Frontier: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
- 出版商: O'Reilly Media
- 出版日期: 1998-03-11
- 定價: USD $34.95
- 售價: $299
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 616
- 裝訂: Paperback
- ISBN: 1565923839
- ISBN-13: 9781565923836
Of course you love your Mac, but don't you wish you could program it yourself?
Instead of looking for an application that does what you need, what if *you* could write a program to concatenate files, change file-types, munge text?
What if you could automate repetitive processes, and tie existing applications together: Have QuarkXPress construct a whole catalog based on a FileMaker database, or have Clip2GIF transform all the PICTs in a Microsoft Word file into GIFs?
What if you could send email without an email program, or download Web pages without a browser? What if you could control remote computers across a network?
What if you could beef up your Web site by writing your own CGI scripts, or by generating hundreds of related Web pages automatically?
With UserLand Frontier, you can do all this and more. What is Frontier?
- It's a simple but sophisticated scripting language (UserTalk), with speed that blows AppleScript away and a far easier learning curve -- plus it's multi-threaded and includes an elegant debugging environment.
- It's an integrated database with instant access to data, text, outlines, and tables.
- It's a totally automated environment, where scripts can create dialogs, open windows, edit text, alter menus.
- It's a hook to the system, able to read and write files, open documents, read the clipboard.
- It's a base for sending and receiving Apple events, so it can drive any scriptable application and can be integrated into other scripting applications.
- It's a network application, able to function as a client or server over AppleTalk or the Internet.
- It's a powerful scripting environment for Web site management and system level scripting.
Frontier: The Definitive Guide is the first book devoted exclusively to teaching and documenting this wonderful program. With it, you can learn all about Frontier or find out about just those aspects that interest you. Whether you're a complete Frontier beginner or an experienced hand in need of a clear, ordered reference, this book is for you.
Packed with examples, advice, tricks and tips, Frontier: The Definitive Guide teaches you Frontier from the ground up. Even if you've never programmed before, you'll be cranking out Web pages or writing your own custom scripts in no time. Before you know it, you'll have joined the ranks of thousands of Macintosh power users who make Frontier their "home base."
Covers Frontier 4.2.3 for the Macintosh.