A comprehensive guide to North American and international telecommunications standards
- Complete reference for ITU standards
- Covers signaling methods and SS7 node types and infrastructures
- Elucidates E1 and R2 configuration and Japanese digital hierarchy
- Thoroughly covers the North American T3 and international E3 digital hierarchies, including information on how to get more bandwidth out of both
- Addresses T1 line coding and frame format schemes as well as implementation requirements
- Itemizes Frame Relay specifications and covers its functions and configuration
- Explains ATM and B-ISDN development and functionality
- Presents the DOCSIS initialization sequence, configurations, and topologies
- Explains the SMDS interface protocol, configuration, troubleshooting, and Data Exchange Interface (DXI)
- Covers xDSL architectures, encoding technologies, circuit attributes, and power levels
- Includes a detailed, thorough comparison of SONET and SDH technologies
Knowledge of telecommunications technologies such as DDS, ISDN, T1/E1, ATM, and SONET is critical in today's competitive IT job market. A comprehensive reference for IT engineers and managers working with WAN connectivity, Telecommunications Technologies Reference covers not only DDS, ISDN, T1, and other physical media but goes further to explain how their international counterparts work-much-needed information when working with today's global, sophisticated networks.
In addition to thoroughly explaining the practical applications of each of these technologies, Telecommunications Technologies Reference includes historical material on how and why each was designed and delves into the underlying principles that support the technologies. With its clear, logical organization, this valuable guide helps telecommunications professionals stay abreast of ever-evolving technologies and key new developments. "Expert whiteboards"-detailed sidebars written by seasoned industry professionals-impart advanced real-world information on major topics throughout the book. Chapter summaries and end-of-chapter review questions help reinforce important concepts and assess your comprehension level.
Whether you are an engineer seeking detailed information on routing data and voice communication, a student looking for an introductory overview of telecommunications resources, or a manager needing fundamental information on WAN technologies, Telecommunications Technologies Reference has all the information you need, collected neatly into one simple-to-reference book. This comprehensive resource will earn a place on your technical library bookshelf as a frequently referenced, indispensable telecommunications guide.