Textpattern Solutions: PHP-Based Content Management Made Easy
Cody Lindley, Kevin Potts, Robert Sable, Roderick Smith, Mary Fredborg
Textpattern is a powerful, PHP-based content management system that allows you to build pretty much any kind of data-driven website quickly and easily. It is very popular among designers and developers alike, and has an active community of users. Sound good? Well, you're in luck—the book you're holding now shows you how to use every aspect of Textpattern to a professional standard.
Textpattern (and this book) appeals to two main groups of people:
Firstly, the web designer who has mastered the fundamentals of XHTML and CSS and wants to create sites that have fresh and dynamically changing information, but is not familiar with server-side coding and databases. Never fear—Textpattern enables you to integrate your XHTML knowledge, inserting dynamic aspects into your already solid site design.
Secondly, PHP developers who are looking for a content management system upon which to build additional functionality and want a hand with the design aspects of their site. Again, Textpattern fills in those holes.
The book leaves no stone unturned. It starts by introducing you to Textpattern and guiding you through its very simple installation process. After the core features of the administrative interface are explored, the book dives into building sites with TXP, using CSS, articles, forms, pages, and more to create fully customized templates.
Development follows next, looking at installing plugins and building your own custom plugins to further enhance your Textpattern-based site. The book concludes with several case studies to provide ideas and inspiration, including a weblog, an e-commerce site, and an online review directory.
Table of contents
PART ONE: GETTING STARTED
- Chapter 1: Setting the Stage
- Chapter 2: Installing Textpattern
- PART TWO: THE TEXTPATTERN INTERFACE
- Chapter 3: Site Administration
- Chapter 4: Basic Content Manipulation
- Chapter 5: Presentation
- PART THREE: CUSTOMIZING TEXTPATTERN
- Chapter 6: The Textpattern Model
- Chapter 7: Creating the Content: Categories and Articles
- Chapter 8: Customizing the Presentation: Sections, Pages, Forms, and Style
- Chapter 9: Tying Content and Structure Together
- Chapter 10: Comments
- Chapter 11: Beyond the Basics
- PART FOUR: EXTENDING TEXTPATTERN
- Chapter 12: Custom Fields
- Chapter 13: Using Plugins
- Chapter 14: Writing Plugins
- PART FIVE: TEXTPATTERN SITE EXAMPLES
- Chapter 15: Multiauthor Weblog
- Chapter 16: Case Study: PopularWeddingFavors.com
- Chapter 17: Case Study: BoiseCityEats.com
- PART SIX: APPENDIXES
- Appendix A: Tag Reference
- Appendix B: Plugin Developer Resources