Getting Started with Memcached
Speed up and scale out your web applications with Memcached
- Set up the Memcached service on your server or development machine
- Use Memcached on your Java, Ruby, Python, and PHP applications
- Full of practical, real-world examples and easy-to-follow explanations
Web application performance is no longer a non-functional requirement, but an implicit condition for an engaging user experience. As a result, responsive and highly scalable applications are becoming a necessity. Memcached is a high-performance distributed memory caching system built to speed up dynamic web applications by offloading pressure from your database.
Getting Started with Memcached is a hands-on, comprehensive guide to the Memcached service and it’s API in different programming languages. It contains practical recipes to integrate Memcached within your Rails, Django, or even Scala Play! applications.
This book will show you everything you need to know to start using Memcached in your existing or new web applications. This book uses real-world recipes to help you learn how to store and retrieve data from your clustered virtual memory cache pool and how to integrate caching into your favourite web development framework.
You will also learn how to build a Memcached consistent-hashing scalable cluster and how Memcached clients are properly configured to use different servers to scale out your memory cache pool in Ruby, Python, PHP, and Java. With this book, you will see how to cache templates and database queries in the most popular web development framework in use today.
What you will learn from this book
- Install Memcached on Ubuntu and Mac OS X
- Understand how the Memcached server works
- Learn how the Memcached protocol is designed
- Build a Memcached scalable cluster
- Use Memcached with Ruby, Python, PHP, Java as well as with your Play! application
- Integrate Memcached within your Rails applications
- Cache templates in Django applications
This book is an easy-to-follow guide full of hands-on examples of real-world administration tasks, which will help you design and build highly scalable and very fast web applications.
Who this book is written for
This book is ideal for web application developers looking for hands-on, practical, and to-the-point recipes to integrate the Memcached service into their day-to-day programming tasks. No prior knowledge of Memcached is assumed for using this book.