Practical recipes to write your own MapReduce solution patterns for Hadoop programs with this book and ebook
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Learn how to install, configure, and run Hadoop jobs
- Seven recipes, each describing a particular style of the MapReduce program to give you a good understanding of how to program with MapReduce
- A concise introduction to Hadoop and common MapReduce patterns
MapReduce is a technology that enables users to process large datasets and Hadoop is an implementation of MapReduce. We are beginning to see more and more data becoming available, and this hides many insights that might hold key to success or failure. However, MapReduce has the ability to analyze this data and write code to process it.
Instant MapReduce Patterns: Hadoop Essentials How-to is a concise introduction to Hadoop and programming with MapReduce. It is aimed to get you started and give you an overall feel for programming with Hadoop so that you will have a well-grounded foundation to understand and solve all of your MapReduce problems as needed.
Instant MapReduce Patterns: Hadoop Essentials How-to will start with the configuration of Hadoop before moving on to writing simple examples and discussing MapReduce programming patterns.
We will start simply by installing Hadoop and writing a word count program. After which, we will deal with the seven styles of MapReduce programs: analytics, set operations, cross correlation, search, graph, Joins, and clustering. For each case, you will learn the pattern and create a representative example program. The book also provides you with additional pointers to further enhance your Hadoop skills.
What you will learn from this book
- Write and run a simple MapReduce program
- Understand the workings of Hadoop and how to write a custom formatter
- Calculate analytics, cross-correlation, and set operations using Hadoop
- Write simple Hadoop programs to perform searches
- Join data by writing Hadoop programs
- Perform graph operations and clustering
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. This is a Packt Instant How-to guide, which provides concise and clear recipes for getting started with Hadoop.
Who this book is written for
This book is for big data enthusiasts and would-be Hadoop programmers. It is also meant for Java programmers who either have not worked with Hadoop at all, or who know Hadoop and MapReduce but are not sure how to deepen their understanding.