Managing the resources of your vSphere environment is essential for effective virtualization, and this book shows you how by taking you deep into ESXi and how it ensures resource availability, teaching practical techniques on the way.
- Understand the requirements to build a strong virtual foundation and the features that can support your VMware environment
- Monitor and automate the tools available to make your VMware vSphere environment more efficient
- Packed with practical methods and techniques that will enhance your resource management in VMware
vSphere is the flagship suit of Server virtualization, cloud deployment, and management. VMware vSphere comes with features that help you prepare a robust foundation to build virtual environments. You might have an already-built vSphere deployment, but managing the resources of your vSphere environment is crucial in order to save time and improve productivity.
This practical guide provides readers with a high-level understanding of the various components, methodologies and general best practices for maintaining and managing resources in a virtual environment.
Readers will begin the book with an explanation of the requirements for ESXi, the groundwork for VMware vSphere, and move through a comprehensive study of how resources are supplied. We'll then progress with showing you the characteristics that enable resource and virtual machine availability.
With a solid understanding of the requirements to build and run your environment, you then move on to understanding how ESXi manages resources such as CPU, memory, disk, and networks for multiple virtual machines and how it ensures resource availability. Finally, you will be made aware of the options available with Vmware vSphere to automate and monitor your environment.
Readers will go through a learning curve of understanding the components, identifying the course of action, and putting it to practice.
What you will learn from this book
- Find out the requirements for installing ESXi and vCenter and determine whether your hardware is compatible
- Discover how ESXi manages access to resources for multiple virtual machines
- Familiarize yourself with ESXTOP and the methods to use it to monitor resources
- Expand your knowledge of the features available with different versions of VMware vSphere, and methods to enable and configure them
- Get acquainted with the automation features available with VMware vSphere to improve your environment efficiency
- Unleash the monitoring options available with VMware vSphere to be alerted when there is a problem
This concise guide follows a practical approach, covering solutions and methods to manage resources for virtualization.
Who this book is written for
If you are a current vSphere administrator who is aspiring to start your virtualization journey with VMware vSphere and wants to learn how to manage your resources, this is the book for you. Readers are expected to have some prior knowledge of ESXi and vCenter.