Building an RPG with Unreal（Paperback）
Steve Santello, Alan R. Stagner
Get to grips with building the foundations of an RPG using Unreal Engine 4
About This Book
- Utilize a mixture of C++, Blueprints, and UMG to create a role playing game (RPG) efficiently
- Create reusable code chunks and elements that can easily be integrated into other games
- A cost effective, step-by-step guide to building and customizing an entire framework for your RPG
Who This Book Is For
If you are new to Unreal Engine and always wanted to script an RPG, you are this book's target reader. The lessons assume you understand the conventions of RPG games and have some awareness of the basics of using the Unreal editor to build level.
What You Will Learn
- Program gameplay elements in C++ in Unreal
- Create custom game data for entities such as players and enemies
- Create a turn-based combat engine
- Design menu systems and blueprint logic
- Create an NPC and dialog system
- Integrate equipment and items
- Develop the foundations of a saving and loading system
Now that Unreal Engine 4 has become one of the most cutting edge game engines in the world, developers are looking for the best ways of creating games of any genre in the engine. This book will lay out the foundation of creating a turn-based RPG in Unreal Engine 4.
The book starts by walking you through creating a turn-based battle system that can hold commands for party members and enemies. You'll get your hands dirty by creating NPCs such as shop owners, and important mechanics, that make up every RPG such as a currency system, inventory, dialogue, and character statistics. Although this book specifically focuses on the creation of a turn-based RPG, there are a variety of topics that can be utilized when creating many other types of genres.
By the end of the book, you will be able to build upon core RPG framework elements to create your own game experience.
Style and approach
You will follow a series of lessons detailing the elements that contribute to an RPG. By the end of the book, you will have considerably leveled up your ability to make your own game