Instant Cassandra Query Language
A practical, step-by-step guide for quickly getting started with Cassandra Query Language
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Covers the most frequently used constructs using practical examples
- Dive deeper into CQL, TTL, batch operations, and more
- Learn how to shed Thrift and adopt a CQL-based binary protocol
Apache Cassandra is a fault-tolerant, distributed data store that offers linear scalability, allowing it to act as a storage platform for large, high-volume websites. Cassandra Query Language, or CQL, is the default language/method used to access, change, and query the Cassandra database. It is essential to learn how to use CQL since the old RPC-based mechanism is now giving way to CQL-based Cassandra drivers.
Instant Cassandra Query Language serves as a great starting point for anyone who has started working on Cassandra and who wishes to learn its query language, CQL, in a simple, concise, and quick way. It teaches you how to use CQL in an efficient manner and shows you the exact query commands you need to run.
Instant Cassandra Query Language takes you on a journey through Cassandra Query Language. We first introduce CQL and help you to get started with it by installing, configuring, and opening the console. In order to get a quick feel for it before delving deeper into its inner workings, we’ll run some basic read and write commands. After the stage is set, we’ll design and experiment with a simple social media application, explaining the different CQL constructs used along the way.
You’ll also learn some specific skills like how to specify database columns that expire after a certain period of time, how to create batch operations, and more. Since CQL is used as a base for Cassandra drivers, it’s important to explore the usage of CQL via different libraries. You’ll learn how to write client applications over Cassandra in different ways, namely using Thrift and Datastax Java Driver. A listing of high-level clients is also provided that serves as a good starting point for you to explore them further. With this book, you’ll learn everything you’re likely to encounter while working with CQL.
What you will learn from this book
- Install, configure, and start Cassandra and get to the CQL console
- Read, write, and delete data using CQL
- Design a database model for a social media application and use CQL over it
- Configure CQL operations for secondary indexes, composite keys, collection types, and counter column families
- Implement TTL, batch operations, and more using CQL
- Build client applications using CQL
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. It’s an Instant Starter guide.
Who this book is written for
Instant Cassandra Query Language is great for those who are working with Cassandra databases and who want to either learn CQL to check data from the console or build serious applications using CQL. If you’re looking for something that helps you get started with CQL in record time and you hate the idea of learning a new language syntax, then this book is for you.