About This Book
- Learn how to install PHPUnit as well as how to write and execute tests
- Understand the advanced concepts of testing using test doubles and the continuous integration process
- A hands-on, step-by-step guide full of real-life examples to help you learn quickly and effectively
Who This Book Is For
This book is a practical guide featuring a step-by-step approach that aims to help PHP developers who want to learn or improve their software testing skills. It also takes you through many real-life examples encountered by PHP developers to help you avoid common pitfalls.
What You Will Learn
- How to install PHPUnit and configure IDEs for PHPUnit support
- What are unit tests and why to test code
- Write test doubles and learn how to replace dependencies
- Explore how to test legacy code
- Test code calling APIs and connecting to the database
- Run functional tests in a web browser using Selenium tests
- Use tests as part of the continuous integration process
- Discover the alternatives to PHPUnit
- Use PHPUnit tests in the Jenkins and Travis CI servers
The ability to write unit tests and software testing have become skills that every PHP developer should master.
This book is a practical guide to PHPUnit and unit testing, covering all aspects of writing PHPUnit tests and using them. The book shows why testable code is better code and how to write good tests with the help of simple and easy-to-understand examples.
With this book, you will learn how to write, organize, and execute effective tests. Step-by-step techniques of how to write testable code, how to refactor the code, and how to run your tests are shown. You will also learn about advanced testing techniques, including how to test databases, APIs, and legacy code. PHPUnit Essentials is a guide for PHP developers who want to learn or improve their software testing skills. It is a book for developers who begin with testing but is also a good source of information for developers who are already familiar with PHPUnit.