Learning Python for Forensics
Preston Miller, Chapin Bryce
Learn the art of designing, developing, and deploying innovative forensic solutions through Python
About This Book
- This practical guide will help you solve forensic dilemmas through the development of Python scripts
- Analyze Python scripts to extract metadata and investigate forensic artifacts
- Master the skills of parsing complex data structures by taking advantage of Python libraries
Who This Book Is For
If you are a forensics student, hobbyist, or professional that is seeking to increase your understanding in forensics through the use of a programming language, then this book is for you.
You are not required to have previous experience in programming to learn and master the content within this book. This material, created by forensic professionals, was written with a unique perspective and understanding of examiners who wish to learn programming
What You Will Learn
- Discover how to perform Python script development
- Update yourself by learning the best practices in forensic programming
- Build scripts through an iterative design
- Explore the rapid development of specialized scripts
- Understand how to leverage forensic libraries developed by the community
- Design flexibly to accommodate present and future hurdles
- Conduct effective and efficient investigations through programmatic pre-analysis
- Discover how to transform raw data into customized reports and visualizations
This book will illustrate how and why you should learn Python to strengthen your analysis skills and efficiency as you creatively solve real-world problems through instruction-based tutorials. The tutorials use an interactive design, giving you experience of the development process so you gain a better understanding of what it means to be a forensic developer.
Each chapter walks you through a forensic artifact and one or more methods to analyze the evidence. It also provides reasons why one method may be advantageous over another. We cover common digital forensics and incident response scenarios, with scripts that can be used to tackle case work in the field. Using built-in and community-sourced libraries, you will improve your problem solving skills with the addition of the Python scripting language. In addition, we provide resources for further exploration of each script so you can understand what further purposes Python can serve. With this knowledge, you can rapidly develop and deploy solutions to identify critical information and fine-tune your skill set as an examiner.