Apache Hive Essentials
Immerse yourself on a fantastic journey to discover the attributes of big data by using Hive
About This Book
- Discover how Hive can coexist and work with other tools in the Hadoop ecosystem to create big data solutions
- Grasp the skills needed, learn the best practices, and avoid the pitfalls in writing efficient Hive queries to analyze the big data
- Create an environment to analyze big data using practical, example-oriented scenarios
Who This Book Is For
If you are a data analyst, developer, or simply someone who wants to use Hive to explore and analyze data in Hadoop, this is the book for you. Whether you are new to big data or an expert, with this book, you will be able to master both the basic and the advanced features of Hive. Since Hive is an SQL-like language, some previous experience with the SQL language and databases is useful to have a better understanding of this book.
What You Will Learn
- Create and set up the Hive environment
- Discover how to use Hive's definition language to describe data
- Discover interesting data by joining and filtering datasets in Hive
- Transform data by using Hive sorting, ordering, and functions
- Aggregate and sample data in different ways
- Boost Hive query performance and enhance data security in Hive
- Customize Hive to your needs by using user-defined functions and integrate it with other tools
In this book, we prepare you for your journey into big data by firstly introducing you to backgrounds in the big data domain along with the process of setting up and getting familiar with your Hive working environment. Next, the book guides you through discovering and transforming the values of big data with the help of examples. It also hones your skill in using the Hive language in an efficient manner. Towards the end, the book focuses on advanced topics such as performance, security, and extensions in Hive, which will guide you on exciting adventures on this worthwhile big data journey.
By the end of the book, you will be familiar with Hive and able to work efficiently to find solutions to big data problems.