Learning Cocos2d-x Game Development
About This Book
- Create a Windows Store account and upload your game for distribution
- Develop a game using Cocos2d-x by going through each stage of game development process step by step
Who This Book Is For
If you are a hobbyist, novice game developer, or programmer who wants to learn about developing games/apps using Cocos2d-x, this book is ideal for you.
What You Will Learn
- Configure and create a Cocos2d-x project on Windows
- Understand the basics of Cocos2d-x classes such as CCScene, CCLayer, and CCSprite
- Develop different control schemes using buttons, a gyroscope, and a custom touch area
- Implement various methods for collision detection such as circle collision and bounding box collision
- Discover how to add and remove objects from the screen and update the score as well as Gameover condition
- Get to grips with the tools used to create spritesheets as well as custom fonts and design particles
- Integrate ads and in-app purchases in the game to monetize the game
Cocos2d-x is one of the most popular cross-platform 2D game engines. It is packed with powerful features that set it apart from other game engines. With so many languages and operating systems, Cocos2d-x provides a one-stop solution for developing games for the operating system of your choice using the language you are most comfortable with. Starting from the basics, this book will show you how to display content on the screen and make it interact as well as move around with various control mechanisms such as actions, accelerometer, and tap onscreen buttons. You will learn about the mechanics of collision detection, their advantages and disadvantages, and how to keep track of the score. You will then create a gameplay cycle, use third-party tools to expedite the development process, and distribute the game through the App Store.
By working through the carefully designed chapters of the book, you will master Cocos2d-x and the various tools so that you can use these skills to make a complete game or a quick prototype.