Leverage the power of programming to use the Raspberry Pi to create awesome games
About This Book
- Learn to use a Raspberry Pi computer to dive into the world of developing exciting games and applications
- Learn to code in three different programming languages and write code that interacts with the physical world
- This is a practical guide to put imagination into action by creating interactive projects
Who This Book Is For
This book is for kids who wish to develop games and applications using the Raspberry Pi. No prior experience in programming is necessary; you need only a Raspberry Pi and the required peripherals.
What You Will Learn
- Gear up to start programming by setting up the Raspberry Pi and taking a tour of available applications
- Understand the fundamentals of programming and electronics using the Raspberry Pi
- Use the Linux operating system and programming languages such as Scratch and Python to build interesting projects
- Gain a basic understanding of how the Python programming language works by writing simple programs
- Build a fully functioning game and explore how to modify it to create new levels
- Create animations and music to make your games and applications more exciting
- Make computer code interact with the physical world
- Add markers to your personal mapping program
- Get an understanding of Sonic Pi, and discover how to use it to create your own music
The Raspberry Pi is a single-board mini computer designed to get more people (particularly children) interested in computer programming. It aims to make programming tools and educational programs as accessible as possible, making it very easy to get started with.
This book will guide you through six fun projects that show how programming can be used to be creative. Each project has clear step-by-step instructions and explanations helping children grasp the concepts easily.
You will start by setting up the Raspberry Pi and get to grips with the Scratch programming language to create simple animations. Gain and put to use your understanding of Python to write simple yet useful programs. Create and play a physical game by connecting it to the Raspberry Pi en route to become aware of a number of other possible uses for a very similar circuit/program. Finally, with an understanding of Sonic Pi, you will create your own music.