Building a Pentesting Lab for Wireless Networks
Vyacheslav Fadyushin, Andrey Popov
- Design and build an extendable penetration testing lab with wireless access suitable for home and enterprise use
- Fill the lab with various components and customize them according to your own needs and skill level
- Secure your lab from unauthorized access and external attacks
Starting with the basics of wireless networking and its associated risks, we will guide you through the stages of creating a penetration testing lab with wireless access and preparing your wireless penetration testing machine.
This book will guide you through configuring hardware and virtual network devices, filling the lab network with applications and security solutions, and making it look and work like a real enterprise network. The resulting lab protected with WPA-Enterprise will let you practice most of the attack techniques used in penetration testing projects. Along with a review of penetration testing frameworks, this book is also a detailed manual on preparing a platform for wireless penetration testing. By the end of this book, you will be at the point when you can practice, and research without worrying about your lab environment for every task.
What you will learn
- Determine your needs and choose the appropriate lab components for them
- Build a virtual or hardware lab network
- Imitate an enterprise network and prepare intentionally vulnerable software and services
- Secure wired and wireless access to your lab
- Choose a penetration testing framework according to your needs
- Arm your own wireless hacking platform
- Get to know the methods to create a strong defense mechanism for your system
About the Author
Vyacheslav Fadyushin (CISA, CEH, PCI ASV) is a security consultant and a penetration tester with more than 9 years of professional experience and a diverse background in various aspects of information security.
His main points of interest and fields of expertise are ethical hacking and penetration testing, infrastructure and application security, mobile security, and information security management.
He is also an author of the book, Penetration Testing: Setting Up a Test Lab How-to, published by Packt Publishing in 2013.
Andrey Popov is a security consultant and penetration tester with rich professional experience and a diverse background in infrastructure and application security, information security management, and ethical hacking. He has been working for a market-leading company along with another security professional since 2007.
Table of Contents
- Understanding Wireless Network Security and Risks
- Planning Your Lab Environment
- Configuring Networking Lab Components
- Designing Application Lab Components
- Implementing Security
- Exploring Hacking Toolkits
- Preparing a Wireless Penetration Testing Platform
- What's Next?