Building Android Games with Cocos2d-x
Learn to create engaging and spectacular games for Android using Cocos2d-x
About This Book
- Create fun physics games to rival the bestselling games on Google Play
- Save time by creating your Android games using this integrated framework
- Learn to create a simple game using step-by-step instructions provided throughout the book
Who This Book Is For
If you have a basic understanding of the C++ programming language and want to create videogames for the Android platform, then this technology and book is ideal for you.
What You Will Learn
- Set up your work environment
- Learn how to create graphic elements and animate them
- Use the built-in physics engine to make your games more realistic
- Manage user interaction using the touch and accelerometer capabilities
- Boost your game's visual appeal by learning to add text and using true type and bitmap fonts
- Enhance your game by adding sound effects and background music
- Discover how to add rich explosion effects using particle systems
- Add native Java code to your Android game
Cocos2d-x is a multi-platform C++ gaming framework in active development maintained by Chukong technologies. It wraps all the essential elements needed for creating a game, making the task of game building very developer-friendly.
Starting with a vital primer to get you up and running with your development environment, you will quickly dive in to exploring the latest version of this framework. You will understand major framework improvements to render objects at lightning speed, extend and maintain code easily, and improve the label API to add great functionality such as glow, shadows, and outlines to labels.
Through the creation of a real game, you will explore the core components of development including Physics, enabling you to create realistic sprite movements, and particle systems to dynamically simulate explosions, fire, rain, and smoke, as well as exploring the sound engine to make your game more robust. Finish by integrating Cocos2d-x C++ code with native Android code to launch games with the classic Java Android application.