Learning iOS Forensics - Second Edition
Mattia Epifani, Pasquale Stirparo
A practical guide to analyzing iOS devices with the latest forensics tools and techniques
About This Book
- This book is a comprehensive update to Learning iOS Forensics
- This practical book will not only cover the critical aspects of digital forensics, but also mobile forensics
- Whether you’re a forensic analyst or an iOS developer, there’s something in this book for you
- The authors, Mattia Epifani and Pasquale Stirparo, are respected members of the community, they go into extensive detail to cover critical topics
Who This Book Is For
The book is for digital forensics analysts, incident response analysts, IT security experts, and malware analysts. It would be beneficial if you have basic knowledge of forensics
What You Will Learn
- Identify an iOS device between various models (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) and verify the iOS version installed
- Crack or bypass the protection passcode chosen by the user
- Acquire, at the most detailed level, the content of an iOS Device (physical, advanced logical, or logical)
- Recover information from a local backup and eventually crack the backup password
- Download back-up information stored on iCloud
- Analyze system, user, and third-party information from a device, a backup, or iCloud
- Examine malicious apps to identify data and credential thefts
Mobile forensics is used within many different domains, but is chiefly employed in the field of information security. By understanding common attack vectors and vulnerability points, security professionals can develop measures and examine system architectures to harden security on iOS devices. This book is a complete manual on the identification, acquisition, and analysis of iOS devices, updated to iOS 8 and 9.
You will learn by doing, with various case studies. The book covers different devices, operating system, and apps. There is a completely renewed section on third-party apps with a detailed analysis of the most interesting artifacts. By investigating compromised devices, you can work out the identity of the attacker, as well as what was taken, when, why, where, and how the attack was conducted. Also you will learn in detail about data security and application security that can assist forensics investigators and application developers. It will take hands-on approach to solve complex problems of digital forensics as well as mobile forensics.
Style and approach
This book provides a step-by-step approach that will guide you through one topic at a time.
This intuitive guide focuses on one key topic at a time. Building upon the acquired knowledge in each chapter, we will connect the fundamental theory and practical tips by illustrative visualizations and hands-on code examples.