Puppet for Containerization
- This is the first book that focuses specifically on the combination of containerization and configuration management tools as the landscape for system administration changes
- It demonstrates to administrators how to seamlessly integrate containerization without disrupting their entire system
- It provides a canny way for you to grow your tool kit and embrace new tech such as Docker while building on your existing skill set
This book teaches you how to take advantage of the new benefits of containerization systems such as Docker, Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, and Docker UCP, without losing the panoptical power of proper configuration management.
You will learn how to integrate your containerized applications and modules with your Puppet workflow. You will also understand how to manage, monitor, and orchestrate hosts to keep deployed containers running seamlessly. With the help of this book, you can efficiently automate and document with containers, as a part of your system.
The book will also cover use cases of deploying Puppet within a containerized environment.
What you will learn
- Write Puppet modules to build Docker
- Create Docker Compose templates with .erb files
- Get to know the architecture of Docker schedulers
- Create a Docker network and service discovery framework
- Build a fully functional Docker scheduler with Puppet
- Make Docker production ready with Puppet
About the Author
Scott Coulton is a solutions architect with 10 years of experience in the field of managed services and hosting space. He has extensive experience in architecture and in rolling out systems and network solutions for national and multinational companies with a wide variety of technologies including AWS, Puppet, Docker, Cisco, VMware, Microsoft, and Linux. His design strengths are in cloud computing, automation, and security space.
You can find him at https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-coulton-22864813. You can find him on Twitter at @scottcoulton and on GitHub at https://github.com/scotty-c.
Table of Contents
- Installing Docker with Puppet
- Working with Docker Hub
- Building a Single Container Application
- Building Multicontainer Applications
- Configuring Service Discovery and Docker Networking
- Multinode Applications
- Container Schedulers
- Logging, Monitoring, and Recovery Techniques
- Best Practices for the Real World