Building Recommendation Engines
Suresh Kumar Gorakala
- A step-by-step guide to building recommendation engines that are personalized, scalable, and real time
- Get to grips with the best tool available on the market to create recommender systems
- This hands-on guide shows you how to implement different tools for recommendation engines, and when to use which
A recommendation engine (sometimes referred to as a recommender system) is a tool that lets algorithm developers predict what a user may or may not like among a list of given items. Recommender systems have become extremely common in recent years, and are applied in a variety of applications. The most popular ones are movies, music, news, books, research articles, search queries, social tags, and products in general.
The book starts with an introduction to recommendation systems and its applications. You will then start building recommendation engines straight away from the very basics. As you move along, you will learn to build recommender systems with popular frameworks such as R, Python, Spark, Neo4j, and Hadoop. You will get an insight into the pros and cons of each recommendation engine and when to use which recommendation to ensure each pick is the one that suits you the best.
During the course of the book, you will create simple recommendation engine, real-time recommendation engine, scalable recommendation engine, and more. You will familiarize yourselves with various techniques of recommender systems such as collaborative, content-based, and cross-recommendations before getting to know the best practices of building a recommender system towards the end of the book!
What you will learn
- Build your first recommendation engine
- Discover the tools needed to build recommendation engines
- Dive into the various techniques of recommender systems such as collaborative, content-based, and cross-recommendations
- Create efficient decision-making systems that will ease your work
- Familiarize yourself with machine learning algorithms in different frameworks
- Master different versions of recommendation engines from practical code examples
- Explore various recommender systems and implement them in popular techniques with R, Python, Spark, and others
About the Author
Suresh Kumar Gorakala is a Data scientist focused on Artificial Intelligence. He has professional experience close to 10 years, having worked with various global clients across multiple domains and helped them in solving their business problems using Advanced Big Data Analytics. He has extensively worked on Recommendation Engines, Natural language Processing, Advanced Machine Learning, Graph Databases. He previously co-authored Building a Recommendation System with R for Packt Publishing. He is passionate traveler and is photographer by hobby.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Recommendation Engines
- Build Your First Recommendation Engine
- Recommendation Engines Explained
- Data Mining Techniques Used in Recommendation Engines
- Building Collaborative Filtering Recommendation Engines
- Building Personalized Recommendation Engines
- Building Real-Time Recommendation Engines with Spark
- Building Real-Time Recommendations with Neo4j
- Building Scalable Recommendation Engines with Mahout
- What Next - The Future of Recommendation Engines