Mastering Concurrency Programming with Java 9 Second Edition
Javier Fernandez Gonzalez
- Implement concurrent applications using the Java 9 Concurrency API and its new components
- Improve the performance of your applications and process more data at the same time, taking advantage of all of your resources
- Construct real-world examples related to machine learning, data mining, natural language processing, and more
Concurrency programming allows several large tasks to be divided into smaller sub-tasks, which are further processed as individual tasks that run in parallel. Java 9 includes a comprehensive API with lots of ready-to-use components to implement powerful concurrency applications in an easy way, but with a high flexibility to adapt these components to your needs.
The book starts with a full description of design principles of concurrent applications and how to parallelize a sequential algorithm. You will then be introduced to Threads and Runnables, which are an integral part of Java 9's concurrency API. You will see how to use all the components of the Java Concurrency API from basics to the most advanced techniques and will implement them in real-world powerful concurrency applications.
We use real-world examples of complex algorithms related to machine learning, data mining, natural language processing, and more. You will also get acquainted with the data structures and synchronization utilities to avoid data-race conditions and other critical problems. We also explain reactive streams and how they help in asynchronous stream processing.
Finally, the book ends with a detailed description of the tools and techniques you can use to test a Java concurrent application, along with a brief insight into other concurrency mechanisms in JVM.
What you will learn
- Master the principles that every concurrent application must follow
- See how to parallelize a sequential algorithm to obtain better performance without data inconsistencies and deadlocks
- Get the most from the Java Concurrency API components
- Separate the thread management from the rest of the application with the Executor component
- Execute phased-based tasks in an efficient way with the Phaser components
- Solve problems using a parallelized version of the divide and conquer paradigm with the Fork / Join framework
- Find out how to use parallel Streams and Reactive Streams (a new feature of Java 9)
- Implement the "map and reduce" and "map and collect" programming models
- Control the concurrent data structures and synchronization mechanisms provided by the Java Concurrency API
- Implement efficient solutions for some actual problems such as data mining, machine learning, and more