Learning C++ by Building Games with Unreal Engine 4: A beginner's guide to learning 3D game development with C++ and UE4, 2nd Edition
Learn the fundamentals of C++ programming with a fun-filled, practical guide and create your own games using Unreal Engine 4.
- Gain foundational knowledge of C++ language and syntax while creating games with UE4
- Build 2D and 3D games having compelling user interfaces, game physics, and artificial intelligence
- Discover the latest trends in game development such as Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and AI
Learning to program in C++ requires some serious motivation. Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) is a powerful C++ engine with a full range of features used to create top-notch, exciting games by AAA studios, making it the fun way to dive into learning C++17.
This book starts by installing a code editor so you can begin to write C++17 code. You will then get acquainted with important C++ aspects, such as variables and memory, if, else, and switch, looping, functions and macros, objects, classes, inheritance, and dynamic memory allocation. As we dig into more advanced C++17 concepts, you will also start to explore the functionality the UE4 engine has to offer. You will use the UE4 editor to create your own world, and then program in some seriously fun gameplay. We delve further to discuss building game features, pathfinding, behavior trees, and more, and introduce you to the basics of machine learning and neural networks. We go on to talk about improving UI feedback with UMG and audio. In this edition of the book, we add the latest VR and AR features along with procedural programming.
By the end of this book, you should have a good grasp of how to program in C++17.
What you will learn
- Learn the basics of C++ and also basic UE4 editing
- Learn your way around the UE4 editor and the basics of using C++ and Blueprints within the engine
- Learn how to use basic C++ containers and data structures to store your game data
- Create players, NPCs, and monsters
- Give information to users using the UE4 UMG UI system
- Gain a basic understanding of how to use procedural programming to give your game more replay value
- Learn how UE4 can help you build projects using the hottest new technologies, such as VR and AR
Who this book is for
If you are really passionate about games and have always wanted to write your own, this book is perfect for you. It will help you get started with programming in C++ and explore the immense functionalities of UE4.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with C++17
- Variables and Memory
- If, Else, and Switch
- Functions and Macros
- Objects, Classes, and Inheritance
- Dynamic Memory Allocation
- Actors and Pawns
- Templates and Commonly-Used Containers
- Inventory System and Pickup Items
- Building Smarter Monsters with Advanced AI
- Spell Book
- Improving UI Feedback with UMG and Audio
- Virtual Reality and Beyond