Hands-On High Performance with Spring 5: Techniques for scaling and optimizing Spring and Spring Boot applications
Chintan Mehta, Subhash Shah, Pritesh Shah, Prashant Goswami, Dinesh Radadiya
A hands-on guide to creating, monitoring, and tuning a high performance Spring web application
- Understand common performance pitfalls and improve your application's performance
- Build and deploy strategies for complex applications using the microservice architecture
- Understand internals of JVM - the core of all Java Runtime Environments
While writing an application, performance is paramount. Performance tuning for real-world applications often involves activities geared toward detecting bottlenecks. The recent release of Spring 5.0 brings major advancements in the rich API provided by the Spring framework, which means developers need to master its tools and techniques to achieve high performance applications.
Hands-On High Performance with Spring 5 begins with the Spring framework's core features, exploring the integration of different Spring projects. It proceeds to evaluate various Spring specifications to identify those adversely affecting performance. You will learn about bean wiring configurations, aspect-oriented programming, database interaction, and Hibernate to focus on the metrics that help identify performance bottlenecks. You will also look at application monitoring, performance optimization, JVM internals, and garbage collection optimization. Lastly, the book will show you how to leverage the microservice architecture to build a high performance and resilient application.
By the end of the book, you will have gained an insight into various techniques and solutions to build and troubleshoot high performance Spring-based applications.
What you will learn
- Master programming best practices and performance improvement with bean wiring
- Analyze the performance of various AOP implementations
- Explore database interactions with Spring to optimize design and configuration
- Solve Hibernate performance issues and traps
- Leverage multithreading and concurrent programming to improve application performance
- Gain a solid foundation in JVM performance tuning using various tools
- Learn the key concepts of the microservice architecture and how to monitor them
- Perform Spring Boot performance tuning, monitoring, and health checks
Who This Book Is For
If you’re a Spring developer who’d like to build high performance applications and have more control over your application's performance in production and development, this book is for you. Some familiarity with Java, Maven, and Eclipse is necessary.
Table of Contents
- Exploring spring concepts
- Spring bean wiring configurations
- Tuning Aspect oriented programming
- Spring MVC optimization
- Understanding Spring Database Interactions
- Hibernate Performance Tuning and Caching
- Optimizing Spring Messaging
- Multithreading and Concurrent Programming
- Profiling and Logging
- Application Performance Optimization
- Inside JVM
- Spring Boot Microservice Performance Tuning