Get started with Kotlin programming for building real world applications
- Start programming with Kotlin
- Explore Kotlin language syntax, standard libraries and Java Interoperability
- Builds an example application with what you learn
Kotlin is a general purpose, object-oriented language that primarily targets the JVM and Android. Intended as a better alternative to Java, its main goals are high interoperability with Java and increased developer productivity. Kotlin is still a new language and this book will help you to learn the core Kotlin features and get you ready for developing applications with Kotlin.
This book covers Kotlin features in detail and explains them with practical code examples.You will learn how to set up the environment and take your frst steps with Kotlin and its syntax. We will cover the basics of the language, including functions, variables, and basic data types. With the basics covered, the next chapters show how functions are first-class citizens in Kotlin and deal with the object-oriented side of Kotlin.
You will move on to more advanced features of Kotlin. You will explore Kotlin's Standard Library and learn how to work with the Collections API. The book finishes by putting Kotlin in to practice, showing how to build a desktop app.
By the end of this book, you will be confident enough to use Kotlin for your next project.
What you will learn
- Programming in Kotlin language syntax, basic types, control ?ow, classes, and OOP
- Writing functions and functional programming in Kotlin
- Defning and importing from packages in Kotlin
- Running Kotlin on JVMs and Android runtimes
- Working with the Kotlin Standard Library and advanced features of Kotlin programming
- Setting up a Kotlin development environment with JetBrains tools
- Building real-world applications with Kotlin
Who this book is for
This book is intended for anybody who wants to learn the most important Kotlin features. No experience of Kotlin is expected.
Table of Contents
- Introducing Kotlin
- Kotlin Basics
- Classes and Object-Oriented Programming
- Functions and Lambdas
- Advanced Kotlin
- Kotlin Standard Library
- Coding the Dictionary App with Kotlin