Hands-On Web Penetration Testing with Metasploit: The subtle art of using Metasploit 5.0 for web application exploitation
Sharma, Himanshu, Singh, Harpreet
- Get up to speed with Metasploit and discover how to use it for pentesting
- Understand how to exploit and protect your web environment effectively
- Learn how an exploit works and what causes vulnerabilities
Metasploit has been a crucial security tool for many years. However, there are only a few modules that Metasploit has made available to the public for pentesting web applications. In this book, you'll explore another aspect of the framework – web applications – which is not commonly used. You'll also discover how Metasploit, when used with its inbuilt GUI, simplifies web application penetration testing.
The book starts by focusing on the Metasploit setup, along with covering the life cycle of the penetration testing process. Then, you will explore Metasploit terminology and the web GUI, which is available in the Metasploit Community Edition. Next, the book will take you through pentesting popular content management systems such as Drupal, WordPress, and Joomla, which will also include studying the latest CVEs and understanding the root cause of vulnerability in detail. Later, you'll gain insights into the vulnerability assessment and exploitation of technological platforms such as JBoss, Jenkins, and Tomcat. Finally, you'll learn how to fuzz web applications to find logical security vulnerabilities using third-party tools.
By the end of this book, you'll have a solid understanding of how to exploit and validate vulnerabilities by working with various tools and techniques.
What you will learn
- Get up to speed with setting up and installing the Metasploit framework
- Gain first-hand experience of the Metasploit web interface
- Use Metasploit for web-application reconnaissance
- Understand how to pentest various content management systems
- Pentest platforms such as JBoss, Tomcat, and Jenkins
- Become well-versed with fuzzing web applications
- Write and automate penetration testing reports
Who this book is for
This book is for web security analysts, bug bounty hunters, security professionals, or any stakeholder in the security sector who wants to delve into web application security testing. Professionals who are not experts with command line tools or Kali Linux and prefer Metasploit's graphical user interface (GUI) will also find this book useful. No experience with Metasploit is required, but basic knowledge of Linux and web application pentesting will be helpful.
- Introduction to Web Application Penetration Testing
- Metasploit Essentials
- The Metasploit Web Interface
- Using Metasploit for Reconnaissance
- Web Application Enumeration using Metasploit
- Vulnerability scanning using WMAP
- Vulnerability Assessment using Metasploit (Nessus)
- Pentesting CMSes ― WordPress
- Pentesting CMSes ― Joomla
- Pentesting CMSes ― Drupal
- Penetration Testing on Technological Platforms ― JBoss
- Penetration Testing on Technological Platforms ― Apache Tomcat
- Penetration Testing on Technological Platforms ― Jenkins
- Web Application Fuzzing ― Logical Bug Hunting
- Writing Penetration Testing Reports