Architecting High-Performance Embedded Systems: Design and build high-performance real-time digital systems based on FPGAs and custom circuits
Explore the complete process of developing systems based on field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), including the design of electronic circuits and the construction and debugging of prototype embedded devices
- Learn the basics of embedded systems and real-time operating systems
- Understand how FPGAs implement processing algorithms in hardware
- Design, construct, and debug custom digital systems from scratch using KiCad
Modern digital devices used in homes, cars, and wearables contain highly sophisticated computing capabilities composed of embedded systems that generate, receive, and process digital data streams at rates up to multiple gigabits per second. This book will show you how to use Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) and high-speed digital circuit design to create your own cutting-edge digital systems.
Architecting High-Performance Embedded Systems takes you through the fundamental concepts of embedded systems, including real-time operation and the Internet of Things (IoT), and the architecture and capabilities of the latest generation of FPGAs. Using powerful free tools for FPGA design and electronic circuit design, you'll learn how to design, build, test, and debug high-performance FPGA-based IoT devices. The book will also help you get up to speed with embedded system design, circuit design, hardware construction, firmware development, and debugging to produce a high-performance embedded device – a network-based digital oscilloscope. You'll explore techniques such as designing four-layer printed circuit boards with high-speed differential signal pairs and assembling the board using surface-mount components.
By the end of the book, you'll have a solid understanding of the concepts underlying embedded systems and FPGAs and will be able to design and construct your own sophisticated digital devices.
What you will learn
- Understand the fundamentals of real-time embedded systems and sensors
- Discover the capabilities of FPGAs and how to use FPGA development tools
- Learn the principles of digital circuit design and PCB layout with KiCad
- Construct high-speed circuit board prototypes at low cost
- Design and develop high-performance algorithms for FPGAs
- Develop robust, reliable, and efficient firmware in C
- Thoroughly test and debug embedded device hardware and firmware
Who this book is for
This book is for software developers, IoT engineers, and anyone who wants to understand the process of developing high-performance embedded systems. You'll also find this book useful if you want to learn about the fundamentals of FPGA development and all aspects of firmware development in C and C++. Familiarity with the C language, digital circuits, and electronic soldering is necessary to get started.
Jim Ledin is the CEO of Ledin Engineering, Inc. Jim is an expert in embedded software and hardware design, development, and testing. He is also accomplished in embedded system cybersecurity assessment and penetration testing. He has a B.S. degree in aerospace engineering from Iowa State University and an M.S. degree in electrical and computer engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology. Jim is a registered professional electrical engineer in California, a Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP), a Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), and a Certified Penetration Tester (CPT).
Table of Contents
- Architecting high-performance embedded systems
- Sensing the world
- Operating in real time
- Developing your first FPGA program
- Implementing systems with FPGAs
- Designing circuits with KiCad
- Building high-performance digital devices
- Bringing up the board for the first time
- The firmware development process
- Testing and debugging the embedded system