Building Analytics Teams: Harnessing analytics and artificial intelligence for business improvement
K. Thompson, John
- Learn to create an operationally effective advanced analytics team in a corporate environment
- Select and undertake projects that have a high probability of success and deliver the improved top and bottom-line results
- Understand how to create relationships with executives, senior managers, peers, and subject matter experts that lead to team collaboration, increased funding, and long-term success for you and your team
In Building Analytics Teams, John K. Thompson, with his 30+ years of experience and expertise, illustrates the fundamental concepts of building and managing a high-performance analytics team, including what to do, who to hire, projects to undertake, and what to avoid in the journey of building an analytically sound team. The core processes in creating an effective analytics team and the importance of the business decision-making life cycle are explored to help achieve initial and sustainable success.
The book demonstrates the various traits of a successful and high-performing analytics team and then delineates the path to achieve this with insights on the mindset, advanced analytics models, and predictions based on data analytics. It also emphasizes the significance of the macro and micro processes required to evolve in response to rapidly changing business needs.
The book dives into the methods and practices of managing, developing, and leading an analytics team. Once you've brought the team up to speed, the book explains how to govern executive expectations and select winning projects.
By the end of this book, you will have acquired the knowledge to create an effective business analytics team and develop a production environment that delivers ongoing operational improvements for your organization.
What you will learn
- Avoid organizational and technological pitfalls of moving from a defined project to a production environment
- Enable team members to focus on higher-value work and tasks
- Build Advanced Analytics and Artificial Intelligence (AA&AI) functions in an organization
- Outsource certain projects to competent and capable third parties
- Support the operational areas that intend to invest in business intelligence, descriptive statistics, and small-scale predictive analytics
- Analyze the operational area, the processes, the data, and the organizational resistance
Who this book is for
This book is for senior executives, senior and junior managers, and those who are working as part of a team that is accountable for designing, building, delivering and ensuring business success through advanced analytics and artificial intelligence systems and applications. At least 5 to 10 years of experience in driving your organization to a higher level of efficiency will be helpful.
- An Overview of Successful and High-Performing Analytics Teams
- Building an Analytics Team
- Managing and Growing an Analytics Team
- Leadership for Analytics Teams
- Managing Executive Expectations
- Ensuring Engagement with Business Professionals
- Selecting Winning Projects
- Operationalizing Analytics – How to Move from Projects to Production
- Managing the New Analytical Ecosystem
- The Future of Analytics – What Will We See Next?