Simplify Testing with React Testing Library: Create maintainable tests using RTL that do not break with changes
A fast-paced, practical guide to helping you leverage React Testing Library to test the DOM output of components
- Get to grips with React Testing Library and create tests that don't break with changes in implementation
- Learn how to put RTL into practice by implementing it in real-world scenarios
- Test apps to be more accessible and ensure your tests will work with actual DOM nodes
React Testing Library (RTL) is a lightweight and easy-to-use tool for testing the document object model (DOM) output of components. This book will show you how to use this modern, user-friendly tool to test React components, reducing the risk that your application will not work as expected in production.
The book demonstrates code snippets that will allow you to implement RTL easily, helping you to understand the guiding principles of the DOM Testing Library to write tests from the perspective of the user. You'll explore the advantages of testing components from the perspective of individuals who will actually use your components, and use test-driven development (TDD) to drive the process of writing tests. As you advance, you'll discover how to add RTL to React projects, test components using the Context API, and also learn how to write user interface (UI) end-to-end tests using the popular Cypress library. Throughout this book, you'll work with practical examples and useful explanations to be able to confidently create tests that don't break when changes are made.
By the end of this React book, you will have learned all you need to be able to test React components confidently.
What You Will Learn:
- Explore React Testing Library and its use cases
- Get to grips with the RTL ecosystem
- Apply jest-dom to enhance your tests using RTL
- Gain the confidence you need to create tests that don't break with changes using RTL
- Integrate Cucumber and Cypress into your test suite
- Use TDD to drive the process of writing tests
- Apply your existing React knowledge for using RTL
Who this book is for:
This book is for software engineers, quality engineers and React developers who want to learn about modern practices used for testing React components using the latest testing tool, RTL. Basic knowledge of React development is required to get the most out of this book.