The Essential Guide to Creating Multiplayer Games with Godot 4.0: Harness the power of Godot Engine's GDScript network API to connect players in multi
- 出版商: Packt Publishing
- 出版日期: 2023-12-22
- 售價: $1,690
- 貴賓價: 9.5 折 $1,606
- 語言: 英文
- 頁數: 326
- 裝訂: Quality Paper - also called trade paper
- ISBN: 1803232617
- ISBN-13: 9781803232614
Level up your Godot 4 networking skills with this comprehensive guide featuring dedicated servers and persistent worlds, illustrated with key images in color
- Ensure player synchronization and coexistence in a game world
- Mitigate latency in your multiplayer games to design a seamless shared experience
- Optimize and debug your games using profilers and monitors to visualize performance
- Purchase of the print or Kindle book includes a free PDF eBook
The Essential Guide to Creating Multiplayer Games with Godot 4.0 guides you in exploring the built-in network API for online multiplayer games, offering practical knowledge through concrete use cases.
Throughout the book, you'll assume the role of a network engineer in a fictional indie game studio, tackling real-world requests from your peers and gaining expertise in adding new network features to the studio's games. Following step-by-step instructions, you'll go from making your first network handshake to optimizing online gameplay. You'll learn how to sync players and pass data over the internet as you add online multiplayer features to a top-down shooter adventure game.
This book puts you in a fictional game project team where you set up your first online server before advancing to creating an online chat system and transitioning local gameplay to go online. With a focus on implementing multiplayer features, you'll create shared world adventures and learn optimization techniques to allow more players to join your virtual world.
By the end of this book, you'll have learned how to set up a client-server network, implement remote procedure calls (RPCs), sync node properties remotely, and optimize your games to create smooth online multiplayer experiences.
What You Will Learn:
- Understand the fundamentals of networking and remote data exchange between computers
- Use the Godot game engine's built-in API to set up a network for players
- Master remote procedure calls and learn how to make function calls on objects remotely
- Enhance your GDScript proficiency to get the most out of this powerful language
- Explore industry-standard solutions for common online multiplayer challenges
- Improve your networking skills and discover how to turn single-player games into multiplayer experiences
Who this book is for:
If you're involved in game development with Godot and want to add multiplayer capabilities to enrich the shared gaming experience, then this book is for you. You'll also find this book useful if you're a network engineer looking to gain hands-on experience with practical projects. To get the most out of this book, a prior understanding of the Godot Engine design philosophy, the GDScript programming language, the SceneTree structure, and how nodes work is essential.