Mastering SOLIDWORKS 2022 Sheet Metal: Enhance your 3D modeling skills by learning all aspects of the SOLIDWORKS Sheet Metal module
- Understand what Sheet Metal is and how you can use it with SOLIDWORKS software
- Explore all of the Sheet Metal tools step by step, from simple edge flanges to complex forming tools
- Learn the real-world manufacturing factors that can affect your designs
SOLIDWORKS© is the premier software choice for 3D engineering and product design applications across a wide range of industries, and the Sheet Metal module forms an important part of this powerful program.
This book will help you to understand exactly what Sheet Metal is, why it is used, and how you can make the most of this fundamental design feature. You'll start by understanding the basic tools, including Base Flanges and Sketched Bends, before moving on to more complex features such as Custom Forming Tools and Lofted Bends. The book covers all the necessary tools in a step-by-step manner and shares practical manufacturing tips and tricks that will allow you to apply the skills that you learn to real-world situations.
By the end of this SOLIDWORKS book, you'll have understood how to make the best use of SOLIDWORKS Sheet Metal tools and be able to create a whole range of 3D models and designs confidently.
What you will learn
- Discover what Sheet Metal can be used for and how you can benefit from this skillset
- Create Sheet Metal parts, both from scratch and by converting existing 3D parts
- Select different Sheet Metal tools to be used in different situations
- Produce advanced shapes using Lofted Bends
- Relate the Sheet Metal techniques in the book to real-world manufacturing and design, including material selection and manufacturing limitations
- Practice Sheet Metal techniques using real-world examples
Who this book is for
This book is for existing SOLIDWORKS software users looking to expand their skillset and specialize in Sheet Metal design, including engineers who want to upskill or modeling enthusiasts looking to improve their skills and knowledge. The book will be especially useful for junior engineers and designers who are already familiar with general Solid modeling and want to learn extra computer-aided design (CAD) skills to advance their careers and open up exciting new design opportunities. Basic knowledge of SOLIDWORKS and experience using a Windows PC are all you need to get started.
Johno Ellison is a UK design engineer who has worked with SolidWorks 3D CAD since 2006. He has a wide range of product design and engineering experience, covering areas including mechanisms, 3D printing, materials selection, and rapid prototyping. His online SolidWorks courses have been taken by hundreds of thousands of students and he has worked with over 300 clients from all around the world. He holds a firstclass honors degree in Sustainable Product Design from a top 25 UK university and has completed a range of SolidWorks-certified training courses in the UK. He also holds two Guinness World Records (Longest Distance covered, and Highest Altitude reached), for driving a London Taxi.
Table of Contents
- Sheet Metal Basics – Exploring Sheet Metal Properties and Material Selection
- Adding Bends Using Edge Flanges
- Getting Familiar with Basic Tools in Sheet Metal
- Creating Sheet Metal Drawings and Exporting Files
- Creating Complex Parts Using Swept Flanges and the Fold/Unfold Tools
- Utilizing Gussets, Cross Breaks, and Vents to Add Part Details
- Producing Advanced Shapes Using Lofted Bends
- Joining Multi-Sheet Parts Using Tab and Slot Features
- Finishing Off Models Using Corner Details
- Adding 3D Details to Models with Forming Tools
- Converting to Sheet Metal Using the Insert Bends Tool
- Building Sheet Metal Parts Using the Convert to Sheet Metal Tool
- Practical Example: The Sheet Metal Enclosure